Chapter 13 - Encounters / Truths

I always knew something was wrong with me. I didn't know it was contagious. I didn't know I could give my daughter my sickness, If I'd known I wouldn't have had one. I hated being myself, being confused and unaware of everything that was going on around me. Now she has to do that? I don't want that for her. I can't explain anything, I can't teach her or even console her. All I can say is. "Same." What kind of a father does that make me?

My breath jumps when she giggles. My heart tugs when she smiles. Oh how I love my little girl, I think of her all of the time. Her soft skin and warm feet. I hold her every chance I get. I've fallen so completely in love with her. And it makes me hate myself more. It makes me want to die when I think of what I've done.

"Aaran, honey can you watch Y/n tonight. I'm going out to have a drink. Girls night!" Elaine shouts. "Of course, have fun." Aaran says. It's the first girls night she's had since getting pregnant. She deserves it, more than anything. Once she finished getting ready. Slipping on a beige leather dress with lace up white heels and gold jewelry. Her skin was soft and glowing. Her lips were plump, slathered with lipgloss and dusted with glitter. She gave her husband a tight squeeze before slipping out of the door into the night.

"Have a great time." He says to himself as he listens to her heels clank down the steps of their front porch.

Aaran turns to the couch, flopping down and staring blankly at the television. The screen illuminated his vision and dimmed his mind. He no longer cared for the things that surrounded him, just the mind numbing tv that sat in front of him. But suddenly.

He heard wails.

He ran into the bedroom where his daughter laid, sleeping peacefully on the small bed. Aaran scanned the room briefly, checking for anything that may be in there with him. The room was clear. He picked up Y/n and laid her small body on his shoulder. Rocking her gently and rubbing loving circles into her back. Suddenly he felt it. It was all too quick. All too fast. Y/n was crying so loudly in his ear. He turned around to see the thing. The monster that his child had seen. It was nothing like he'd ever seen before.

The monsters were always terrifying but lacked secure bodies and other human-like attributes. But this one stood on its two hind legs, it had arms and a torso, even a face and hair. Aaran stood still. His body trembled under its own weight. His wet teeth froze from holding his mouth open. He couldn't move at all.

The monster lunged at him and his child. He quickly moved to dodge it. He wasn't aware he could move that fast. He looked down at his own two feet and saw the hazy pink fog that encased them. His eyes shook. He wasn't sure what he was doing, he didn't know he was capable of this, of any of it. He made an escape for the door with his baby still tightly wound in his grasp. The monster was close to him. Deathy close. If he fell neither of them would make it out of this alive.

Aaran made his way to the front door, his breath was hitching from the lack of oxygen surrounding him. 'I can't stop' he thought as he barreled his way through the front door. Ripping it straight out of the wall the wood split from the base. He continued to run and run and run. Until his body felt as if it could give out, even then he continued to run.

When he looked behind him, the thing was gone. He slowed his run down to a trot and then down to a soft walk. Eventually he had made it to a complete stop and circled around in the strange area he was. It was an area in his neighborhood in which he'd never seen. It was a small park, with children's play equipment.

He sat on a swing with his knees pressed together. He cradled Y/n in his lap and caressed her cheek. She stared blankly at him and giggled. "Da-." She murmurs. "Huh..hu," Aaran stutters. "Da- aah." She gurgles under her breath. "I swear to god." He says. "Dada." She utters out her first words. Aaran breathes deeply and smiles. His eyes twinkled brighter than every star in the glitter freckled sky.

He held his daughter close and cried.

-

"So a monster came... and broke down my front door?" Elaine asks. "Look don't say it like I'm fucking crazy." Aaran says. "Well that's how you sound." Elaine says. "It wouldn't sound crazy if you let me explain it all to you." "Well when you do explain the shit it still sounds insane." "Because I'm confused myself. I don't know what they are, I just know they exist. You have to believe me. I swear I'm not crazy or like some insane person. They are around us, all of the time. Whether you can see them or not Elaine. They are here." Aaran says.

"Who is here? What the hell are you talking about with these monsters and creatures and the energy the fire. None of it makes sense. Your saying our daughter's gonna suffer it. But then you say you don't know what 'it' is. Does this mean you don't want more kids? Or do you just not want me Aaran. Is this just a segway to divorce. Cause i'd rather you just be upfront with me than all this extra shit." Elaine says.

"DIVORCE? WHAT?" Aaran shouts. Elaine looks off to the side. "Elaine not once have I ever even considered the thought of leaving you. Never in life would I dream of our divorce. I love you with all I have, you should know that by now. The only reason why I confess the things I see is because I trust you not to throw me into some asylum." Aaran says. Elaine smiles and sits down on the couch. "Yeah?" She asks. "Yeah." Aaran says.

"Alright Monster boy, I'll hear you out. Tell me all about these things. So I'll know when I see it" Elaine says. Aaran looks over at her, his face dripping with anguish. "If any ever dares to come near you, I hope for your eyes to wind shut and you sleep peacefully. You should never have to see such things." He says. Elaine swallows deeply