Chapter 14 - Blood / The Sight of My Love

"He says he can see monsters." Elaine says slamming the glass, engraved with a little 'E' down onto the table. "Monsters? Girl what?" Elaine's coworker Lynn questions. Lynn had several shot glasses surrounding her. "Girl thats what the fuck I said. You know I try to be supportive and shit. But your a stay at home dad that bitches about the creatures in the walls. You sound like a serial killer!" Elaine cries. "Yea, I'm surprised you can still sleep with him around." Another coworker Kyndal says.

Tonight was yet another 'Girls Night'. After the first, Elaine had been frequenting them more and more. Getting as drunk as possible at the Equator Bar and staggering out at 2 in the morning was the only time she wasn't paranoid. Or maybe it made her so paranoid she couldn't recognize the paranoia.

"Girl what happens... you come home right. And he's gone. I mean it's only a matter of time before he loses it. Maybe these monsters are real. Maybe he ain't crazy. Maybe he loves you. He's not gonna wanna put those he loves in danger.. or have them scared of him. So he does what he thinks is best. He runs off and leaves cause he thinks you'll be safer. Either way you look at it. Elaine you on the short end of the stick baby." Tori says.

"So either I stay and wait for us to be the next unsolved mystery case or wait for him to leave me a single mom?" Elaine says. Her eyes were glossing. "Don't cry girl we're just teasing!" Kyndal says. "Right. We've all been around Aaran. He's a great husband and a caring father. He's just weird. We're joking girl." Lynn says. Though they were brushing off what they had said. Elaine still held onto everything they said.

After a long night of drinking and more drinking Elaine found herself stumbling back home. Her father was a bit of a drunk too. Though she got her looks from her mother, her mannerisms were a carbon copy to Eric's. A hardworking drunk that ignored their problems and needed glasses.

She stared at her front door for awhile, she wasn't sure if she should even open it. What if he really wasn't there. Or something worse. She knew her paranoia was useless. Aaran was a good man, he would never leave her, or do anything to hurt their little family. Aaran was a very good man. Elaine reassured herself before opening the door.

All of the lights were off. The atmosphere was still and frigid. She walked over to the thermostat and pressed her finger against the rubber arrow pointing downward. It squished down under the pressure and made a slight sticky noise as it lifted back up. She pressed it a few times, listening to the noisy unsticking of the arrow. 73. She read from the thermostat before letting her hand fall to her side. She looks down the dimly lit hall, any other day she would call out for her husband. Announcing she was home. She didn't care how late it was- or if she woke him. She liked when he groggily limped over to her, half asleep, with their child in his arms.

But tonight. This night. She did not, rather she stayed impossibly silent. Elaine crept down the hall, walking gently, making sure her toes were placed firmly on the ground before lowering the balls of her heels. She pressed gently against the door of her bedroom. As it cracked open, the first thing she saw was blood. Blood, blood, blood. So much blood. "Aaran! She shouted. A figure turned to look her in the eyes. Was that him? Was that her husband? No, It couldn't be. The figure was much too tall, much too wide. It's teeth were too sharp, its ribs were too exposed. Before Elaine could let a scream escape her mouth, her eyes drilled shut and she fell to the ground.

Rather than passing out, or even dying from fear and shock. Elaine lay on the mahogany hardwood floor of her 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath home, fast asleep.

-

When Aaran came to, his body was covered head to toe in blood. Who's, he wondered. He looked behind him to see his wife. Her body was still as a brick on the floor. His body stiffened. His inner monologue screamed no into his brain. He rushed to Elaine, kneeling and lifting her body close to him. He heard her breaths of slumber and the steady beat of her heart. He sighed in relief. He walked over to the bed and saw his daughter sleeping as well. He pulled his wife onto the bed with his child and sat on the floor, looking at the two of them sleep.

Hours passed and Y/n awoke. But Elaine did not. Then a day passed. Then two. On the third day Aaran left the house. When he returned Elaine was up and well. When he walked towards her in excitement, her body went limp before she could speak. Her body was once again crashed against that mahogany floor. Aaran was so utterly confused. Two days went by, she slept through them both. On the third day Aaran once again left, but this time he watched from the window. After around two or three minutes passed, Elaine woke up. She called out to Aaran and searched the house. "He must have went out." She says out loud.

Elaine innocently walks over to Y/n. She feeds her and lays her for a nap. Once Y/n is fast asleep she makes herself some food, eats, then does a bit of cleaning. Aaran watches it all from afar. She picks up her phone and texts Aaran.

She asks how long he would be out and what he wanted for dinner. Aaran responded with 'Tomato soup and grilled cheese'. A childish food, but one he loved. One his wife made beautifully. One that always comforted him, always made him feel warm inside. It only took her an hour to prepare it. The moment she did, Aaran came in.

"Elaine close your eyes." He says. Elaine obeys without much thought. "Ya got me a present?" She asks. 'She really had no clue she had been sleeping for days, what about the blood? Does she not remember? Aaran thought to himself.' All while her eyes were shielded Aaran moved closely to her, his mouth hovering over Elaine's. He placed a delicate wet kiss on her lips. She went to move her hands but Aaran replaced them with his own. Making sure her eyes were blocked off completely. "What are you doing?!" She asks while giggling, trying to peel off Aaran's fingers. He only firms his hold.

"I love you so much Elaine. With every inch of my body, every drop of my soul. You make my life bliss." He says kissing her, softer and deeper. "Say it back to me Elaine." He says, pushing her body onto the wall and breathing heavily. "I love you Aaran. You are my whole world, I wouldn't be myself If I didn't have you to complete me. I love you, I love you, I love you!" She says. Aaran kisses her again. "More." He says. Elaine repeats 'I love you' until she runs out of breath. "Are you satisfied? Can I have my eyes?" She asks. "I'll never be satisfied from hearing that from your mouth...one last time for me." He demands.

"I love you Aaran." She says. He leans down, kissing her lips, kissing the hands that covered her face. Slowly he retracts his digits from her face. He looks at her, she looks at him. Just as Elaine goes to kiss him, her body goes limp in his arms. The twinkle in her eyes dimmed as her eyes shut and her body faded into sleep.

~

"If any monster ever dares to come near you, I hope for your eyes to wind shut and you sleep peacefully. You should never have to see such things."