Chapter 20 - Breakfast / A Student

"It was a huge bust! I couldn't find a damn thing, and at this rate, we'll be in the dark forever." Gojo says lifting the drink to his hand. He had expected to have this talk with Nanami last night but mysteriously both he and Y/n were gone all night. They didn't return until around 2 in the morning and Y/n was quick to fall asleep. Gojo obviously wanted answers but Nanami provided him with none. The blonde claimed he needed to 'sleep on it' before he could be sure. Satoru thought that was bullshit because he wanted immediate answers but he didn't pry.

The next day as promised Nanami agreed to speak on the events that occurred on the previous evening, his reluctance left Satoru more curious than ever, perhaps they all weren't as in the dark as he expected.

The two men were seated at a small breakfast spot in a rather suburban area of town. "Where'd you find this place?" Gojo asks, trying to start some kind of conversation. "I got an advertisement for it in my windshield a week ago, I had been meaning to come." He says scanning the sandwich column on the menu. Gojo knew Nanami was a man of painfully few words but he had to know what he was doing. Obviously, they had come to talk about Y/n's situation, not get breakfast. Nanami would only become agitated if Gojo continued to try and spark conversation but he did so anyways.

Gojo opened his mouth to speak but surprisingly Nanami beat him to it.  "Do you know what you want?" He asks. The way Nanami peered at him with his head facing down towards the menu but his eyes darted straight through his brows made him wonder if the question was about food. "Yeah, the french toast." He says. Nanami closes his eyes and nods before lifting a finger in the air to signal their readiness.

A rather tall, older, black woman makes her way over to them with a slanted smile. "What can I getcha?" She asks. " A french toast with eggs and bacon for him. I'd like the sloppy morning joe, no hashbrowns." Nanami says. The waitress nods and pencils the order down on a yellow pad. "Would you like a refill on those drinks boys?" She asks. "Yes Ma'am," Nanami adds before passing the two menus into her soft-looking wrinkled hands.

Soon she was gone out of their sight and their glasses were full to the brim, Nanami's with piping black coffee and Satoru's with hot cocoa and whipped cream. While Kento calmly dressed his coffee pouring in more sugar to make up for the added liquid and stirring it gently Gojo stared at him in anticipation bouncing his leg lightly under the table. "So?" He prods-- Nanami breathes deeply. "She's strong," he says. "I'm aware? Was it really that terrible that you can't do any more than beat around the bush?" Gojo asks. "Maybe, I don't know yet. I didn't tell you last night because I was upset." Nanami admits. "Upset?" Gojo couldn't comprehend this attitude his partner had. Kento rarely acted like this and it only made him uneasier about the situation.

"Y/n... she has dreams. She told me of her plans for college and what she wants her house to look like, she has big plans. Soon she will be, as she calls it, the heir to her mother's empire. She hopes to make good money off of it and make a good life for herself soon. And I don't know how to tell her that she can't, and she won't." Nanami says. "That's why I am upset." He adds. Gojo didn't say much of anything for a second, he pondered what he should say but immediately decided against saying anything at all.

"Y/n isn't a curse, that's for sure. I believe her mother is cursed and she is either cursed as well by a very very powerful being, or she is a sorcerer herself. But ultimately she isn't human. The reason she never experienced anything up until meeting Megumi is because her power relies on that of another sorcerer. There is a 98% chance she would have crosed paths with one of us at some point in her life so none of this is avoidable, If anything we should be grateful she fell into our hands first." The blonde lifted up the coffee mug to his lips and took a long drawn out sip. When he exhailed the steam puffed up and clouded the clear frames of his seeing glasses he wore from time to time.

"Relies on another sorcerer? I've never heard of a technique like that." Satoru says. In Kento's monologue he didn't give a lot of details, only vague descriptions. Of course Gojo had millions of questions and wished he would have went with the two yesterday to see it all unfold for himself. "Look just... just tell me everything. Everything you came up with the reasons behind it. I'll shut up, just talk." Satoru pleads, but as Nanami began to talk plates were sat out in front of the two men and food was served.

"I don't like talking with my mouth full." Nanami teased. It got a good laugh out of Satoru before they both picked up utensils and began to eat. "So!" Nanami begins, seemingly more perked after his first bite.

"She can weild other techniques... that is her technique. Its like a mimicry power. I wasn't entirely sure so I tested it out a bit and in the end I was proven true. She can activate other peoples techniques and use it as her own, anyone's technique. She can weild multiple at once and she has two ways of activation it seems. At first I believed she needed one of the sorcerers cursed objects to activate it, but after I explained my technique she could assess without an object. So I believe understanding it fully also gives her the ability to use it.

We put some distance between us, she can activate it anywhere it seemed I didn't have to be near her. And of course like with most sorcerers her power lends her a bit of enhanced durability. She's quite fast and strong... and." Nanami pauses to chew and drink. "I have yet to find a weakness... other than inexperience but I don't think that will last very long." Kento finishes.

Satoru had just been eating throughout the entire spiel. "Oh, and since her technique is just... other techniques, she can't be recognised. She can walk in and out of a curtain like a human, she isn't detectable by other sourcerers or curses. It was a very long night last night. That is why I didn't return unit late." He says. "Well at least we don't have to worry about the higher-ups coming to kill her like they did with Yuji, that was honestly my biggest fear throughout. But it seems my second fear has made itself seen." Satoru says. "And what is that?" Nanami asks.

"I have a new student." Gojo says.