Chapter 21 - Permission Granted / The Room

"I'm confused." Elaine says crossing her legs and tilting her head off to the side. Gojo was running out of non-alarming ways to say, 'I'm taking your child for the time being because she is a safety hazard to the country'. "You want her to join... your high school?" She asks. "Precisely." He says. "For what? Y/n is doing fine where she is, I don't see any reason for her to switch." Elaine says. "Well Y/n does most of her schooling while on our campus, she fits in quite well, and she sleeps over so often she already has her own room. It's still quite early in her high school career so the switch won't at all cause a disturbance in her quality of learning and if anything it should heighten it. Plus campus is quite close to the shop." Gojo says.

Elaine ponders what she's being told. She knew very well Y/n was making friends and flourishing. She'd been glowing recently, and being her mother, it was nice to see her happy... but, she missed her daughter. The house is unbearably empty without Y/n in it, the entirety of it gave her anxiety and reminded her of her somber past. Perhaps it was selfish that she wanted to trap her daughter and hold onto her even if it meant she would be lonely. Gojo felt as though he was doing the same thing--taking her and trapping her in a life he knew very well she would probably die trying to escape. And yet, they both felt that they knew what was best for her.

Still, Elaine wasn't sold on just handing her child away, but she also didn't have a very good reason to deny the man. She knew Satoru well, he had hit on her quite a bit, long ago. Around 5 years after Aaran's disappearance, she was just getting back on her feet and the last thing she wanted was another man to come and ruin her all over again. Still, the days had grown long since she had felt any love at all. Satoru was a good few years younger than her, but he was still quite entertaining. He always managed to find her at a bar in business attire.

Elaine remembered his corny one-liners and pickup jokes, mainly how terrible they were, but how warmly he smiled at her as well. When she finally pursued him, both parties were aware that this was nothing more than a fling, and it truly was. They didn't even fuck, they just held each other and talked. Enjoyed the company of a stranger without the attachments of a past. Neither person probed or prodded in business that didn't mind them. It was just closure that they both desperately needed at the time, both lost in a horrible cursed love just wanting a bit of physical touch.

Because of this encounter, Elaine was shocked to see his number on her phone again. And even more shocked to find out that his students and her daughter had become friends. A small world has given Elaine even fewer reasons to deny this man. He is trustworthy and kind, he is a safe hand that she has no problem laying the head of her child in. Still, none of that is enough to give her away for good.

"And of course this doesn't mean you won't be allowed on campus to check in. She is also free to leave for visits whenever she pleases. I know you Elaine, I know how hardworking and self sacrificing you are, give yourself this freedom, give yourself the chance to be you again. That finger of yours is still bare and those kitten heels haven't grown an inch. Be a kid, be what got taken from you. Live in your twenties for a while, let me take her off your hands." He says getting up. He sneaks his hands on her shoulders and massages them in hopes for her approval.

Her neck bobs back and she hums. "How can I say no to that." She questions. "Good." Satoru celebrates, but not before Elaine puts a hot and heavy hand on his. Gojo traces the hand up to it's host and meets Elaine at eye level. The look she gave him sent chills up his spine. The woman said no words but Gojo had never felt an emotion with so much temperature. Her glare was so hot it felt cold and icy on his body. Y/n was Elaine's whole world, and although she never asked much about Satoru she wasn't dumb. She knew well that something odd, something dangerous happened at that highschool and in the world around her. Her husband opened her eyes wide to that fact. She wanted to ensure her daughter didn't fall victim to whatever it was.