Chapter 15 - Home / The Letter

Elaine woke up in a house, not her own.

The last thing she could remember was kissing Aaran. She wanted to make love to him. She still did. But for some reason she could not recall anything that happened after that moment. "Aaran!" She called out stepping down onto the floor. The hardwood was an ashy grey, rather than a red-toned brown. The room was painted an ivory white, the sheets of the bed she arose from were a soft pink, the blankets on top were an array of deeper reds and pinks. There were wall arts of grapefruits and flamingo's hung around the room. Everything looked so modern and chic compared to her older, rather drab house. Though it was dark, the family she created in it made it drip with abundant life.

That is what made that house her home.

She walked out of the tall door into the hall. It was not her hall. The hall had 5 doors. Each one lead into a different bedroom, and each bedroom was connected to a bathroom. In addition, there were grand big stairs that led down to the first floor. She tiptoed down them quietly and looked around. There was a foyer, a dining room, a kitchen, a living room, and an office all on the main floor. It kept that modern chic vibe all throughout. White cabinets with glass accents and steel handles. A gorgeous white marble slab countertop and island with little flakes of silver tracked all throughout. That same ashy grey wood coating the floor of every room, always accompanied by a decorative rug.

The living room had a salmon colored sofa with white and silver pillows lined on it. There was a large flat screen television mounted to the wall, as well as little knick-knacks of all sorts placed around to give the room more life. But it was not her house. Now realizing she was alone she began to panic. She searched for a phone, something she should have done in the first place. She found it and saw the contact for her husband was cleared out of her phone. Luckily she knew it but heart. But.. each time she called, the phone would just ring on and on. Eventually she quit and walked out to the door.

She wasn't familiar with her surroundings or the neighborhood she was in. An uneasy discomfort grew in her stomach when suddenly she remembered something very important. Elaine rushed up the stairs and tore open the door of each of the bedrooms. In the third one of five, there she lay. Y/n's small body sat comfortably on a full-sized bed, fast asleep. Elaine took a sigh of relief, going to pick her up but she noticed something in the corner of her eye. A small envelope sitting on the edge of the bed.

She felt the grittiness of the white paper and smelled it. It was from Aaran, she could tell. Elaine snuck her index finger under a small hole in the paper. She glided her nail down the inner flap and ripped it open. She pulled out two sheets of looseleaf. They were stapled together and folded tightly into a rectangle. She looked at it for a moment, she feared what would be inside of it. The memories of her friends voices played in her head like a violent trumpet.

"What happens when you come home, and he's not there?"

Her mind shifted to the worst.
The absolute worst.

She slowly unfolded the letter, pulling apart the staples one by one. Staring at the two pages in quivering fear. They were written in smooth black ink. Her eyes glossed as she read over the first line.

My Elaine

She refused to let tears fall, she choked them all back. Folding the papers back up, she shoved them into her pocket and picked up her child, making her way out of the front door. There was no car in the driveway so she called an Uber. She was going back home, she didn't want a fucking letter, she wanted Aaran to tell her anything she needed to know out of his own mouth. She refused this. When the driver arrived she got into the car, holding Y/n close to her chest. The drive was silent, Elaine didn't have it in her to make conversation, she was brimming a sob and didn't have the strength to pick her head off of the window's glass.