Chapter 1

2/16/122AC

Driftmark

Dhaenys's point of view

I had just gotten off of Sami and was helped down from him by Pappa as we had finally had arrived at Driftmark. It had only been a few days since Mommy had passed away and I was heartbroken. I couldn't sleep and Pappa tried his best to comfort me but I knew he was also in pain. I just wanted to see my family. I wanted my mommy so bad but I knew that every time I would cry Pappa felt pain from seeing me so unhappy. "Oh dear gods they are here," Nany or as others knew her, Rhaenys, was my grandmother and the only person I truly wanted to see today.

"Nany!!!" I screamed as I came to her arms. She held me as I cried. I wanted her to hold me and give me all the love Mommy would have given me if she was still here with me. She was all I had as a mother figure and I wanted her warmth so badly. "Mommy is gone, I miss her so dearly Nany," I told her as I just cried in her arms and after she wiped the tears off my face. She kissed me all over as she knew that I needed it.

 She kissed me all over as she knew that I needed it

"I know Lovie, I know. I promise that it will all be alright I am here," she kissed me one last time over my head and then just ran her hands over my hair. I was so tired that I was slowly falling asleep in her arms since it had been since I had last slept. "This child looks sick, Daemon. Have you no worry about her health? She is tired and I could feel her stomach rumble. I understand you are hurt after her death, yet you must care for your own daughter." Nany was upset with Pappa. I knew it but I was so tired I just stayed where I was in her arms with my eyes closed.

"It's been hard, I am losing myself. I know that she isn't well but there isn't much I can do. I am there for my daughter, I have always cared for her. You can't come and dictate what I do with her!" Pappa was angry as he had been these past couple of days but I knew he needed his time to process all of this as well. "I just... I just need to throw this day. We will speak of this later," he kissed my hand and then walked past us as he had to take care of the arrangements for Mommy's funeral.

"Come on Lovie we will get something to eat," Nany took me in her arms and the world just seemed to become darker and darker. I welcomed sleep as we headed over towards the castle. I knew that I had a long day ahead of me so might as well rest a little before seeing the rest of my family.

A few hours later...

I woke up in a large bed as Nany was talking to my grandfather. "I will not let him take her Corlys. Dhaenys was Laena's whole world. She would have wanted us to protect her. He is alone, and has always been reckless, you know that. I will not allow her to be taken like her mother was, not this time," I was very confused with the conversation as I rubbed my eyes to see the room better. "Lovie."

"There she is, my little mermaid," grandfather came to me picking me up and started spinning me around as I just giggled. "You have grown so much since last time I saw you, so beautiful you are, and strong look at those arms," he tickled my tummy as I just laughed and smiled... something I hadn't done in a long long time.