Chapter 6

RECAP OF LAST CHAPTER

"The second attack was successful, now that you're here. The only reason that we brought you here was to ask this one question, Carlie. Would you like to join the rebels? And bring down the throne?"

***********************

"What?" I gasp, in utter and complete shock.

"Yes, I am very serious. Would you like to join us?" My... Mom? No, my real mom wouldn't ask me to do this. I will call her Evangeline.

"No! I could never do that to Jake, Josh, Kristen or Chris. NEVER." I say firmly, voice dripping with deadly venom.

"I'm afraid one of the people you mentioned wouldn't exactly mind if you joined us. Actually I think this person would absolutely love it if you joined us." Evangeline says, smiling.I suddenly hear a familiar voice,

"Hello, Carlie." Josh steps out, a wide grin on his face. Josh. I explode with rage.

"YOU! YOU AFTER ALL THIS! I CAN'T BELIEVE I KISSED THAT DIRTY LYING MOUTH. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD BETRAY YOUR BROTHER, YOUR MOM, YOUR DAD, WHO TOOK YOU IN AFTER YEARS OF TORTURE. HOW COULD YOU? YOU IDIOT! YOU TRAITOR! I THOUGHT YOU WERE A GENUINELY NICE PERSON, I ALMOST PICKED YOU OVER YOUR BROTHER!" I scream, head and heart pounding. Josh's eyes harden and his smile disappears.

"You really think I liked you? Please. Our first plan was for me to get you out of the palace but the king and queen wouldn't let me take you on a date out of the palace grounds. I couldn't do much except give them details on how to get in even quicker." Josh explains coldly.

"Is Jake even your brother?" I ask, keeping my voice even.

"Yes, sadly." Josh sighs as if it's a curse instead of a prize.

"I just can't believe you. I thought, I really thought you were a nice person." I say breathlessly.

"Well I am not 'a nice person' I guess" He shrugs.

"It doesn't matter. Bring me back to the palace." I say with as much force as I can manage. Evangeline sighs and shakes her head,

"Unfortunately we can not do that. You know too much. If you try to leave or escape we might-" She gulps and swallows,

"-we might have to kill you." She finishes apologetically.

"WHAT?" No, my own mother, no absolute way. Jake, you have to come and get me. I storm out of the room but Jeffery grabs me.

"Miss you have to go this way, to your room." He informs me.

"Miss? Miss? Don't call me that." I snap angrily. His eyes widen and he lifts his hands up in surrender. Jeffery leads me to a room, it's not bad, but it feels nothing but dangerous.

"Sleep tight. It's nearing 10 o'clock." Jeffery closes the door with a loud boom and I sink onto the bed. A worn leather book is sitting on the night table. My diary! I grab it quickly. A pen has been placed beside it too. I flip open to an empty page and start to write quickly.

"Dear Diary,

Today went from the best day in my life to the worst. I was on a date with Jake. I told him all about me, I showed him my scars, we kissed and it was an amazing, blissful feeling. Then the rebels came. The rebels took me away, they threatened to kill the queen! What could I do? I had to go with them. So I did. They drove me to their hideout in a van and then I found out that the rebel leader is my MOM. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? Suddenly, Josh appears, you know, Jake's twin. He's part of the rebels! He was in on the plan to capture me. But you know the worst, the absolute worst part? They want me on their side to take down the throne. That's ridiculous. I could never do that. I WILL never. I just wish Jake would come. I miss him so much.

Signed,

Carlie."

I sign my name with the tiniest flourish ever as a tear slips down my cheek. I let out a choked sob. Jake. I close my eyes and close my diary. I place it carefully next to me and curl up on top of the covers. Slowly, painfully slowly, I fall into a fitful sleep. Nightmares rush at me. Jake getting killed. Kristen getting killed. Rose getting killed. Josh killing all of them Evangeline killing all of them. George killing Mrs. Smith. Just death.

*******************************

I wake up to a soft voice calling me from my door,

"Carlie? Carlie are you in here? Are you awake? Can you hear me?" I sit up groggily. Where am I? The memories come back. Oh yeah.

"Who are you?" I mutter tiredly. What time is it?

"It's me, Josh." I freeze. Josh?

"What do you want?" I snap.

"To get you back to the castle." He whispers and I wake up instantly.

"What?" I half yell.

"I know, come on, there is no time to explain. LET'S GO." He whispers hurriedly. Not sure if I trust him but I HAVE to take this risk. I need to see Jake again. I jump out of bed and grab my diary and locket. I clasp the necklace around my neck. I don't know why, my Mom isn't what she used to be. Not at all. Josh waves for me to follow him. We creep down the hall until we get to the exit. Josh opens the door and we run out. A car is waiting for us. I peer inside. Jake. OHMYGOD Jake. I almost scream with happiness but we have to get out of here. I hop into the car and straight into Jake's arms. Jake holds me tightly and strokes my hair, murmuring only one word. My name. Carlie. Again and again. The car starts to move and I keep holding on, never letting go. Jake understands,

"So I'm guessing you want an explanation." I nod.

"Okay well, I guess I should tell the tale. I was a rebel, but when I met you, I really started to like you. I couldn't let them torture you. So I brought you there so they wouldn't get suspicious and called Jake. He came and got you, as you can see. It wasn't an elaborate plan but we got you out." Josh explains. I nod again,

"Thank you." I whisper. I fall asleep, tucked safely in Jake's arms.

A/N: SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED. HERE IS THE CHAPTER. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE QUIZ UP? WHAT'S YOUR USERNAME. I AM LEGIT ADDICTED. ADDICTED.