Maharani Tarabai- महाराणी ताराबाई

Born April 14, 1675, in the Maratha Empire. Her father was, Hambirao Mohite, a renowned commander of the Maratha military. Due to her father's career, Tarabai was trained in the arts of combat including, archery, sword-fighting & military strategy; as well as how to handle affairs of state. When she was only 8 years old, she was married off to Chhatrapati Shivaji's son, Rajaram, she was his 2nd of 3 wives. It was also around this time that invading Mughal forces were attempting to seize control of the Deccan sultanates. Shivaji was killed in 1680 & Rajaram was installed as the new king. He was chosen over the heir apparent, his elder brother of 13 years, Sambhaji, who was considered unsuitable to be king. However, Sambhaji was able to win the support of the Marathi generals and took the throne for himself.

Rajaram & his mother, Soyarabai, were imprisoned & their supporters disposed of. Rajaram remained a prisoner until his brother was captured & executed by Mughals during the 1689 siege of Raigad. Rajaram resumed his place on the throne, before fleeing with his wife to Jinji Fort in what is now the state of Tamil Nadu, in the southern most part of the Maratha Empire. After the fort was besieged by the Mughals, Tarabai took command of the defending forces, as her husband was ailing. She was able to hold the fort for 8 years, during that period Tarabai also gave birth to a son, Shivaji II, in 1696. Rajaram finally succumbed to a chronic lung illness in 1700 & Tarabai declared her son, Shivaji II would be his father's heir. As her son was only 4 at the time, Tarabai ruled as regent for the next 8 years.

She personally lead her armies, showing great military skills by using Aurangzeb's own strategy against him. She was able to penetrate far into Mughal-occupied states of Gujurat & Malwa, she was even able to install her own kamaishdars (tax collectors) in these regions. After Aurangzeb died in 1707, there was a power struggle between his surviving sons, Azam Shah & Shah Alam. To create conflict in Tarabai's court, the Mughals released Prince Shahu, the son of Tarabai's deceased brother-in-law, who they stated also had a claim to the Maratha throne. Tarabai refused to acknowledge Shahu's claim which lead to a full-on battle between Tarabai & Shahu's forces. A number of Tarabai's commanders deserted her & sided with Shahu. She later surrendered to him in 1708.

Nonetheless, she set up a rival faction in Kohlapur but this power was ripped once again from her grasp by Rajaram's 3rd wife, Rajasabai, who installed her son, Sambhaji II, in her place. Tarabai was imprisoned along with her son, for a second time. Shivaji II died while still in captivity, in 1726. When Sambhaji II & Chhatrapati Shahu eventually rose up against one another, Shahu issued an order for the release of Tarabai. He invited her to come live at Satara Palace (in what is now the state of Maharashtra), but without any of the political sway she once held.

Near the end of Shahu's life, Tarabai brought a child too him introducing him as, Ramraja II, her grandson; she had kept the child hidden away to ensure his safety. As Shahu had no heirs he adopted the child as his own and upon Shahu's death in 1749, Ramraja took up the rulership. Grandmother & grandson would soon be at odds with one another however, when Ramraja refused to remove Nana Saheb from the post of Peshwa (chief minister). In retaliation, Tarabai disowned Ramraja & had him thrown in the dungeons of Satara Palace, only a year after he'd become Chhatrapati. This prompted a rebellion of the palace garrison & though she was able to settle the conflict, she knew she was not going to be able to maintain power for much longer. In 1752, Tarabai finally made peace with Peshwa Nana Saheb, accepting his position of authority & her own as a dowager. Nevertheless, she continued to be one who commanded respect & loyalty. Nana Saheb also reinstalled Rajaram as Chhatrapati.

Throughout her 8 year reign as regent of the Maratha Empire, Tarabai was credited with leading her own troops into battle against the forces of Emperor Aurangzeb, who is regarded as one of the most powerful rulers of that time. A Mughal chronicler described how Tarabai's greatest strength was her ability to gain the trust & loyalty of her officers, which made her a force to be reckoned with. Maharani Tarabai died on December 9, 1761, aged 86, at Satara Palace.

Side notes:

Deccan sultanates- 5 medieval Indian kingdoms ruled by Islamic sultans, located between the Krishna River & the Vindhya Mountains (in central India).

https://www.thebetterindia.com/121097/rani-tarabai-warrior-queen-maratha-shivaji-aurangzeb-inspiring-woman/

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/tarabai-13313.php