Aethelflaed- Lady of the Mercians

Aethelflaed born between 872-879, was the daughter and eldest child of Alfred the Great (ruled Wessex from 871-899) and sister of Edward, "the elder", king of Wessex (who ruled from 899-924). Her mother, Ealhswith was also from the ruling family of Mercia. Her family had Saxon roots. She married Aethelred, lord (ealdorman) of Mercia in 886 and together they had a daughter Aelfwynn. Aethelflaed ruled Mercia alongside her husband as a joint ruler.

Aethelflaed's father, Alfred put London in his daughter and son-in-law's hands. The couple were big supporters of the church and gave generously to various religious communities and causes. Aethelflaed also joined her father and husband on various expeditions to drive out Danish invaders. Her husband, Aethelred was killed in 911, while battling the Danish. After her husband's death she was given the title "Lady of the Mercians" the femaile equivalent of her Aethelred's title. According to Saxon tradition she wasn't given the title of "queen".

She built fortresses, fortified cities and reconstructed Roman ruins in western Mercia as a defence against invading and occupying Danes. In addition Aethelflaed took on an active role as ruler, leading her forces against the Danes at Derby in 917, she captured it, doing the same at Leicester. The Danes there submitted to her rule. She also invaded Wales as retribution for the murder of an English abbot and his company, capturing the wife of the king and 33 others, holding them hostage.

In 918 the Danes in York offered their allegiance to Aethelflaed against the Norwegians in Ireland. She died in June of that year before she found out about the peace treaty that was being offered to her by the Vikings/Danes in York. She was buried at the monastery of St. Peter, in Gloucester. The monastery was one built with funds from Aethelflaed and Aethelred. Aethelflaed was succeeded by her daughter, Aelfwynn, who was made a joint ruler by her mother. Edward, ruler of Wessex (who you might remember to be Aethelflaed's brother) took the kingdom of Mercia from Aelfwynn and took her captive; therefore allowing him to have control of most of England by uniting the two kingdoms.

Footnotes

Wessex was a kingdom in southern England that would cover the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and possibly the Isle of Wight and part of Avon, Wiltshire and Hampshire

Mercia was a kingdom that ended up covering the breadth central England, in what is now the counties of Shropshire, Hereford & Worcester, Gloucester, Stafordshire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Chesire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire to name a few. 

Aethelflaed's sister Aelfthryth married Baldwin, Count of Flanders. She was the 4th great grandmother of Matilda of Flanders who married William the Conqueror. Making her an ancestor of other British royalty.

Edward's son, Aethelstan was educated in Aethelflaed's court.

https://www.thoughtco.com/aethelflaed-british-queen-3529617