Fu Hao- 傅浩

Lady Fu Hao was a queen, general & high priestess of the Shang Dynasty in Eastern China during the 13th century BC. She was first recognized when she married Emperor Wu Ding of the kingdom of Shang, becoming one of his 60 wives. Fu Hao took advantage of the semi-matriarchal society, ascending through the ranks of the royal household. She received a leading post in the Shang army & became Wu Ding's most favored wife.

As a warrior, Fu Hao gained notoriety for her efforts against, Tu Fang, who despite having been a fierce opponent of Shang for generations, was completely defeated by Fu Hao, in one decisive battle. Fu Hao went on to become Shang's most powerful military commander, leading a force of 13,000 soldiers with several generals also under command. She lead successful military campaigns against the neighbouring kindoms of Yi, Qiang & Ba. The last of which led to the earliest record of an ambush in Chinese history. 

Like other war leaders, Fu Hao received a portion of land from the territories she conquered, from which she received her personal income. She was an active politician & spiritual leader, acting as advisor to the king & performing religious rituals as high priestess. Which were highly unusual roles for a woman at the time, reflecting the trust Wu Ding placed on her.

Following her death, the Shang's military influence weakened under attacks by the Gong, prompting Wu Ding to make a series of sacrifices & prayers to Fu Hao's spirit, pleading for protection against an invasion. Over the centuries, Fu Hao's achievements have descended into myth and many historians didn't believe she actually existed until her tomb was discovered in Yinxu, in 1976. The tomb contained detailed records of her life, inscribed on oracle bones. As well as an arsenal of weapons, including battle axes inscribed with her personal signature.

Side notes: 

Yinxu- one of China's ancient capitals, located in Eastern China. Name literally means "ruins of Yin".

Oracle bones- made from ox or turtle bones, used as a form of fortune-telling in ancient China.

http://thefemalesoldier.com/blog/fu-hao