Qin Liangyu- 秦良宇

Qin Liangyu was born in Zhongzhou, Sichaun (what is now Zhong County, Chongqing), in 1574. She was Han Chinese and very tall,  about 186cm (6'1 ft). She was a noted national heroine and general from the late Ming dynasty. Towards the end of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Qin's father began teaching his children classical literature, martial arts and military strategy to prepare them for the chaos he sensed was coming. Qin proved herself to be highly skilled in archery, horseback riding and other arts of war. Her father lamented "It's a pity you're a girl or you would be given a royal title, someday for your military contributions".

Little did he know, his daughter would become the only female general in Chinese history. For decades, Qing led her army in protecting her country and received the royal title of "loyal marquis" for her military contributions. 

Qin married Ma Qiancheng, the commander in Shizhu, southwest China's municipality, when she was 24. Both were brave and intelligent and loved and respected each other greatly. In 1599, Yang Yinglong, the military commander of Zunyi (also in southwest China) rebelled against the government. Yang took control of several strategically important cities like Chongqing. Than he brought his army to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province. Under orders from the government, Ma brought 3,000 soldiers to suppress the rebellion. Qin led another 300 soldiers, to accompany her husband. In 1600, government troops went on a number of successful military campaigns and as a result held many celebrations during the spring festival, lowering their guard. Aware that danger was looming, Qin warned her husband to tell his soldiers to stay alert and forbid them from drinking alcohol. 

As Qin had predicted the rebels attacked in the middle of night, as the other government troops fled in a panic, Qin and her husband led their men in a counter-attack against Yang and his army that ended with the defeat of the rebels. They chased down the rebels who had tried to flee and surrounded them, this was how they ended the rebellion. In 1613, Ma offended a court eunuch named Qiu Chengyun, when he refused to take a bribe Qiu tried to give him. He was framed and arrested, he died in prison soon after. Qin Liangyu took over her husband's position when he died. 

In 1616, Nurhachi, the chieftain of the Jurchen tribes (later known as the Manchu), in northeast China's Liaoning province, founded the Jin dynasty. He than launched several attacks on the Ming armies. In order to support the war efforts, Qin was ordered to send troops to Liaoning, she sent her brothers Bangping and Minming to lead troops there. Though they were outnumbered the Qin brothers fought valiantly and broke through thousands of enemies. After that the White Stick Troop became famous all over the country. 

In 1621, She Chongming led thousands of soldiers in revolt against the government in Chongqing, he tried asking Qin for help but was promptly turned down. Than she sent troops to take over strategic places to prevent the rebel army from escaping Sichuan. She launched several surprise raids and easily suppressed yet another rebellion. In 1630, the Manchurians surrounded Beijing and Qin brought her army to defend the capital. Although the Ming army was 200,000 strong, none were brave enough to go up against the Manchu army. So Qin launched the first attack and the invaders were forced to retreat. 

The royal family was so impressed by Qin Liangyu's bravery that the Emperor Chongzhen, even wrote a poem about her, praising her. Qin was one of the two people that the emperor penned a poem for, the other was the Prime Minister, Yang Sichang.

In the waning years of the Ming dynasty, several peasant uprisings rocked the country, putting the royal family in a very dangerous position. Qin was sent back to Sichaun, to protect the province. In 1634, the peasant army, lead by Zhang Xianzhong occupied Fengjie, in Chongqing municipality. However when Qin's forces approached the city, the peasant army fled in fear of Qin's fierce reputation. In 1640, Qin ambushed a peasant army led by, Luo Rucai at Wu Mountain, forcing the rebels to flee. Luo than joined his men with Zhang's and began attacking many cities in Sichuan. Once again, Qin was ordered to send reinforcements to Chongqing, which soon proved to be in vain. Outnumbered, Qin's army was annihilated, Qin lost all 30,000 of her men in that one battle. Only she made it out alive.

She was defeated several more times in the following years. Finally she was forced to retreat to Shizhu, a strategically important mountain pass. Soon Beijing was invaded, marking the end of the Ming Dynasty. Some members of the royal family established a government in Nanjing, Jiangsu province (southern China). The Manchurians continued marching south and east, the viciousness and brutality caused strong resistance from both the peasant armies and the Ming government.

In 1648, Qin Liangyu was given the title "prince's teacher" and commanding officer of the Sichuan military, she hoped to lead them against the Manchurian invaders. Sadly Qin died just a few days later at the age of 75, before she could lead her forces into one final battle.

Footnotes

The White Stick troop was a group of soldiers that Qin Liangyu and her husband, Ma Qiancheng put together. They were named such because of the white wooden spears, they rode into battle with.

http://www.womenofchina.cn/womenofchina/html1/special/15/1612-9.htm