Tomoe Gozen- 巴御膳

Tomoe Gozen appears in samurai chronicles and likely lived between about 1157-1247. Though there are many variations of her story, it is clear that Tomoe was one of the best martial artists of her day and famed as a formidable warrior in battle. Tomoe as one of the few female samurai in Japanese folklore, has earned her place in history; however it is impossible to tell if many of the accounts of her are actually true. It is certainly possible that Tomoe did learn martial arts and had a unique opportunity to put her skills to use; she is famous for riding into battle alongside the renowned warrior, Minamoto Yoshinaka, who she served with absolute dedication & according to some accounts, may have been Minamoto's lover or even wife.

Tomoe & Minamoto fought alongside each other during the Genpei War (1180-85), which she is believed to have survived through, unlike Minamoto who perished. In one noteworthy battle, Tomoe is said to have defended a bridge against dozens of attackers. In another, she is said to have killed a slew of samurai, in single-hand combat. Finally killing their leader, Uchida Iyeyoshi, who tried to pull Tomoe from her horse, so she promptly decapitated him & delivered his head to Minamoto, as a trophy. The most famous story of Tomoe, is from the Battle of Awazu (1184), where Minamoto was defeated by opposing forces. When their side's loss became inevitable, Minamoto told Tomoe he would fight to the death, while she should retreat because he would be shamed to die fighting side-by-side with a woman. She complied after killing one last enemy samurai.

Tomoe is unique because she is the only female warrior, described in detail in ancient Japanese tales of  the samurai. The Heike Monogatari, doesn't mention her again after the Battle of Awazu but according to another record, Minamoto sent her to his home province, to relay the tale of his final battle, in hopes his exploits would become part of the samurai legends. However as she left the battlefield, she was set upon by an enemy solider by the name of, Wada Yoshimori. He appeared to be at a disadvantage, having lost his sword & attacked her with a pine trunk, which he used as a club. Tomoe broke his impromptu weapon but was overpowered and forced to become Wada's concubine. She bore him a son, who was reportedly killed in 1213, when the Hojo family destroyed the Wada family. After this, Tomoe is said to have become a nun & lived till the age of 91. Other sources conclude the story of one of the most fearsome female warriors in the history of martial arts differently; some say she killed many enemies as she retreated from the Battle of Awazu, then retired to a temple & took holy orders to become a nun. While others say she committed seppuku.

It will never be known for certain what happened to Tomoe both before & after the Battle of Awazu but it is certainly possible that she not only existed but played a key role in the Genpei War.

Side notes:

Seppuku-  a form of ritual suicide, considered the most honorable way to die, in the case that a battles loss was inevitable; also a way to avoid the humiliation of capture.

http://www.historyoffighting.com/tomoe-gozen.php