Queen Gwendolen

According to legend, Gwendolen lived during the 11 century and was one of Britain's first queens. As stated in the writings of Geoffrey of Monmouth, Gwendolen was the daughter of Corineus, king of Cornwall & a soldier in King Brutus' army. Gwendolen was married to Locrinus, the eldest of Brutus' three sons. The couple had one son named, Maddan. Upon her father's death, Locrinus divorced Gwendolen, in favor of his German mistress, Estrildis. Whom he already had a daughter with, Habren. Gwendolen moved to Cornwall, where she lived for a few years. After assembling a large army, Gwendolen declared war against her ex-husband, Locrinus. In a battle near the River Stour, Locrinus was killed.

Gwendolen then assumed the Cornish throne and ruled as sole monarch, following in the footsteps of her father. In taking on this role, she also became the first queen regent of the Britons. After having her ex-husband's mistress, Estrildis & daughter, Habren, drowned in the River Severn, she ruled peacefully for 15 years. Gwendolen would abdicate in favor of her son, Maddan and lived out the rest of her life in Cornwall.

The Historia Regum Britanniae (The History of the Kings of Britain), says that at the time of her death, Samuel was a judge in Judea & Homer was gaining popularity in Greece. Gwendolen is also mentioned in, The Faerie Queen (1590) by the English poet, Edmund Spenser and another poem, Visions of the Daughters of the Albion (1793), by William Blake.

Side notes:

King Brutus- a legendary descendant of the hero, Aeneas, known in British history as the founder and first king of Britain.

River Stour- the border between the kingdoms of Cornwall & Loegria, two key locations in ancient Britain.