Trưng Trắc & Trưng Nhị

The Trung sisters, Trung Trac and Trung Nhi, headed a rebellion against the Han Chinese government and temporarily established an autonomous state. Their tremendous determination and strong leadership qualities are cited by scholars of south-east Asia as a testiment to the respected posistion and freedom of women in Vietnam, as compared to the male dominated societies of China and India. They were heroes of the first Vietnamese independence movement and were largely active between Ad 39-43.

The oldest, Trung Trac was the widow of Thi Sach, lord of Chau Dien, in northern Vietnam, who had been killed by a Chinese general for plotting with other nobleman the overthrow of their Chinese overlords. Trung Trac took charge of the movement after the death of her husband. In AD 39, along with her sister Trung Nhi  and other members of the aristocracy marched on Lien Lau, forcing the Chinese to retreat. Within a year the sisters and their allies held 65 northern cities. At the lower Red River delta the Trung sisters declared themselves joint rulers of an independent state (name unknown), extending from southern China to present day, Hue.

The Trung sisters revolutionaries, without peasant support, supplies and untrained forces were no match. However for the seasoned troops of Chinese general Ma Yuan (Ma Vien), he defeated them at Lang Bac (near the present location of Hanoi), they retreated to Hat Mon (Son Tay) where they were decisively defeated. Unable to accept defeat they committed suicide by throwing themselves into the juncture between the Day and Red rivers in Ad 43. The Hai Ba (two sisters) pagoda in Hanoi and the pagoda in Hat Mon is dedicated to them. 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Trung-Sisters