Emilia Plater- Emilija Pliaterytė

Emilia Plater was born November 13, 1806, in Vilnius, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (in what is now Lithunia) into a noble Polish-Lithuanian Plater family. Her family traced their coat of arms to Westphalia but were fully adapted to the Polish lifestyle. Most of the family, relocated to Livonia during the 15th century & later to Lithuania. Her parents, Franciszek Ksawery Plater & Anna Von Der Mohl, divorced in 1815, when she was 9. She was raised by distant relatives, Michal Plater-Zyberk & Izabela Helena Syburg zu-Wischling, in the family manor, Liksna, near Daugavpils (Dzwina), in what is now Latvia.

She was well-educated and gained an admiration for Tadeusz Kosciuszko & Prince Josef Poniatowski, who were Polish militarymen. She also voraciously read Johann Wolfgang von Goethe & Friedrich Schiller, who she read in the original German. Emilia grew up in a culture that placed immense value on Polish history, some of her literary heroine were Princess Wanda & Grazyna. She also looked up to Bouboulina, Anna Dorota-Chrzanowska & Joan of Arc. Emilia also became interested in equestrianism & marksmanship, uncommon for women from aristocratic families, in the 19th century.

In 1823, one of her cousins was forcibly conscripted into the Russian Imperial Army, as punishment for celebrating the Constitution of the 5th of May, this event is considered a major turning point in her life, which solidified her pro-Polish & anti-Russian stance. In 1829, Emilia took a tour through the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, visiting Warsaw, Krakow & the site of the Battle of Raszyn. Her mother died a year later, while her father remarried, refusing to even see his daughter. After the outbreak of the November Uprising, against Imperial Russia, Emilia became a vocal supporter of the anti-Tsarist movement, in the lands of the former Grand Duchy of Lithuania. She became one of about a dozen women who joined the November Uprising & was the most famous of them all.

A document dated March 25, contains a note that the November Uprising was all her idea & she dreamed of the day it would come to be. She cut her hair, prepared a uniform for herself, organized & supplied a group of volunteers. She gave an impassioned speech after church service on March 29. On April 4, Emilia signed a declaration that gave her access to the rebel forces. Her unit was comprised of 280 infantry, 60 cavalry & several hundred peasants armed with scythes. Through Daugavpils, she entered Lithuania, where in April 1831, her army is said to have seized the town of, Zarasai (Jeziorosy), though historians debate whether or not this actually happened. She planned to take Daugavpils, but the plan was abandoned after a surveillance mission, discovered that the town was guarded by a strong garrison & impregnable to attack by her small force. Emilia than returned to Samogitia & headed for Panevezys (Poniewież), where on April 30, she joined forces with Karol Zaluski. On May 4, she fought in the Battle of Prastavoninai (Prestowiany), soon after she fought with Konstanty Parczewski at Maislagala (Mejszagoła). On May 5, Emilia witnessed General Dezydery Chlapowski entering the region with a large army, taking over all units, who fought in the former Grand Duchy. Chlapowski advised Emilia to step down and return home. She allegedly refused saying she wouldn't remove her uniform, until her homeland was totally liberated. Her decision was accepted & she was made a commanding officer of the 1st company of the Polish-Lithuanian 25th Infantry Regiment. Emilia was promoted to captain, the highest rank awarded to a woman at the time. She spent more time in Kaunas (Kowno), before the revolutionaries were forced to retreat, in late June.

After the Polish were defeated by the Russians, at Siauliai (Szawle), Chlapowski went into self-imposed exile in Prussia. Emilia vocally criticized this decision, she refused to follow orders, instead attempting to break the lines to Warsaw & continue the fight. However, not long after, she accompanied by two others, one of which was her cousin or uncle (it varies), Cezary Plater, she fell seriously ill. Emilia never recovered and died in a manor belonging to the Abłamowicz family on December 23, 1831. She was buried in the small village of Kapciamiestis (Kopicowo). After her defeat, her estate was confiscated by Russian authorities.

Her death was highly publicised shortly after by the Polish press, which contributed to her growing fame. Emilia Plater became a key figure of the uprising and the image of the fighting girl became widespread in Poland & Lithuania.

Side notes:

Westphalia- region in Northwestern Germany, part of the historic state of North Rhineland-Westphalia

Livonia- region on the eastern shores of the Baltic Sea, in what is now Latvia.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe- a German writer & statesman. He wrote novels, poetry, prose, dramas & an autobiography; as well as treatises on botany, anatomy & colour.

Friedrich Schiller- German poet, philosopher, physician, historian & playwright; friend of von Goethe's

Princess Wanda- daughter of Krakus, legendary founder of Krakow. Became queen of Poland upon the death of her father.

Bouboulina- a Greek naval commander & heroine of the Greek War of Independence (1821), allegedly 1st female admiral of the Imperial Russian Navy.

Anna Dorota-Chrzanowska- a heroine of the Polish-Ottoman War, known for her valiance during the Battle of Trembowla (1675).

Battle of Raszyn- battle fought in April 1809, between the armies of the Austrian Empire & the Duchy of Warsaw, during the Napoleonic Wars.

Samogitia- a region in northwestern Lithuania.

Panevezys- 5th largest city in Lithuania.

Kaunas- 2nd largest city in Lithuania & a historical centre of Lithuanian economic, academic & culture life. Kaunas was the biggest city, in the Grand Duchy, since 1413.

Siauliai- largest city in Samogitia

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Emilia_Plater