Prolouge - The Start of a Life-Saving Friendship

It was the day you turned eight.

Green and white streamers were taped to the cream tiles above and the smell of cake still lingered in the room. Gift bags were all bundled up in a corner, surrounded by stray paper. The leftover cake was gone and given out to the remaining hospital staff and children on the floor per your request. The cake was huge, like every year. Strawberry. It was the only flavor that you could stand that wasn't normal like chocolate and vanilla. The first few years it was vanilla, and like everything else around here, it got boring.

It's been 5 years stuck in this place. The other kids became your neighbors and the staff was a second family. They always did everything they could to make sure you were okay. Well, you would never be 'okay', but mother always said to look forward to getting out someday.

Nothing made that fact more apparent then the gifts you got today. Study guides and flash cards on subjects like math, reading, and history. They were all for grades way above your own, these specifically for a student in middle school, maybe around 2nd-3rd year. You excelled when it came to your studies simply because you had nothing better to do. Adult TV was too complicated and kids shows were becoming insulting. They made you feel stupid. You hated feeling stupid.

So you you wanted to know everything you could.

Your life could easily be compared to a young child who belonged to a rich family. Minus the life threatening disease and non-existent social life. Multiple hours a day were spent reading and doing problems in workbooks, only interrupted by the nurses coming to check your blood bags and replacing them when needed. Despite wanting to know everything, you didn't understand your illness very well. Not because it was too complicated (you tell yourself) but because you didn't want to. You didn't want to know your likelihood of death. Thus, anything medical was left out of your studies and just took any nurse's word for everything. Which was always positive, of course.

Mom and dad knew you liked books, so they kept buying you new ones. But, that wasn't the only reason. They wanted to believe you had a life after the hospital. A life of normalcy and freedom. And when that time came, they didn't want you to be clueless and lost. You holding on to that dream ment more to them than you could ever know. You were their only daughter, and refused to have more because they wanted to focus on you entirely.

You were alone in your room at the moment. The party was over around noon and it was very short due to the staff having other people to attend to. Your parents went home early too, they had work soon. As quickly as it left, the boring world you hated came back in an instant. The silence in the room and even the sweet smell diminished and was replaced by the sad hospital smell.

You looked out your window at the same trees and sighed. The same. Everything is the same. Why can't something change? You scoffed and looked back to your hands resting in your lap. They were so thin and fragile. A pencil and a cup of water was just about the most you could hold.

"A pencil...right I should probably start that workbook I got"

Shuffling past the thick plastic side rail on your bed, you slowly put your feet to the cold floor. Taking your IV pole in hand, you carefully walked to the pile of books on the chair on the other side of the room. Since everything was hooked up to you from the pole, being restricted wasn't a problem. You knew how busy the nurses were, so you didn't want to bother calling them for a stupid book you could easily...well, moderately manage to get
yourself.

You were almost there. A few more steps... and then it happened.

You looked quickly out the window to be met with a...

Ball?

It caught you so off guard that you almost fell flat on your butt. Moving a few steps towards the window, you followed the ball down, all the way to the ground, and it was swiftly kicked to the middle of the field. You could see two figures, about your age, racing towards it.