16. Something New

Davyn had to admit that this was something new. He couldn't remember the last time he'd enjoyed kissing someone that much. To be fair, he couldn't remember the last time kissing was more than a hasty prelude to meaningless sex.

For the first time maybe ever, he hadn't expected anything else than kissing. The abandonment he'd felt in Millie was enough to temper any further desires, especially since he hadn't even considered sleeping with her. He still wasn't, really. He wasn't even sure he would ever want to since it would complicate things.

When they'd had their fill and he felt as if he'd fall asleep right next to the pool, they both dressed up and he'd led her to the reception of the dorm. A part of him wanted to steal one last kiss, but the receptionist guy was there and Davyn really didn't want him getting the wrong idea, because then he'd become a pain in the ass and maybe no loner let him in. Instead, he gave her hand a light squeeze and let himself out into the night.

His mind was filled with their kisses on the drive home as his heart continued to pound in a weird, unfamiliar rhythm. Why had it felt like that? She technically had no idea what she was doing. Like a blank canvas on which he could paint whatever he wanted. Was that it? That the canvas was all his? That he could draw anything he wished, without any previous interference? The idea was strangely enticing.

When he reached the house, he went in without caring about Freider or Ron or anyone else. For the first time after so long, he got into bed and slept.

He dreamed of his parents, dancing around the living room to one of those old, corny love songs, his mother's cheek pressed against his father's chest, their eyes closed, warm smiles on both their faces. And even if his parents were young in that dream, Davyn knew he was still his real age, watching them through a distorted lens. Even so, it wasn't a nightmare, but a bittersweet memory which he appreciated. It was like visiting his parents, seeing them again when they were at their happiest. When he woke up, there was a knot in his throat.

And yet, the warmth inside his chest which had ignited the previous night was still there. He wondered if it was real as he took a shower and headed down for breakfast. Ron and Freider were both in the kitchen, Ron gobbling up some cereal, Freider leaning against the counter and sipping his coffee.

"There you are," Freider said. "What happened to you last night?"

Davyn's stomach jumped to his throat. "What do you mean?" he asked, picking up a piece of toast and biting into it.

"I said hello when you came in and you totally ignored me." Freider narrowed his eyes. "You looked totally gobsmacked."

Did he? He just shrugged. "I was exhausted, really. I didn't even hear you. Really needed sleep."

Freider couldn't argue with that. He knew he'd had little sleep the night before what with making sure Ron didn't choke on his own tongue. What he didn't know was just how little Davyn had been sleeping in general ever since their father died. Why had that night been different?

"Are you taking me to school?" Ron asked, drawing their attention to him.

Davyn thought he sensed a bit of hope in his voice. "Yeah, sure. Be ready in ten minutes."

Ron quickly shoveled the last spoons of cereal in his mouth, looking like a red-headed chipmunk, then hopped off his seat and headed up the stairs.

"Did you say anything to him yesterday?" Davyn asked.

Freider scoffed. "Not really. Maybe what you said to him, but in other words, so that he'd understand the gravity of his actions. But I mostly left him alone."

Davyn wasn't sure whether to believe him or not, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, Fredier had been behaving much better lately and he'd take it.