34. Regression

Millie decided that she had to take things as they came. So, over the next two weeks, she pushed the thought of her impending departure out of her mind and focused on what really mattered. Spending her time with Davyn.

With school loosening up, she didn't even bother to pretend that she wasn't completely enthralled by something else. Diana and Bianca already knew, so they never questioned that she didn't come to the dorm room at night, understanding her need to be with Davyn while she still could.

The days were a lavender haze, and the nights were burning flames. He'd been right. There was so much to learn. And with every day, little things changed.

First, it was the food in the refrigerator, then the toothbrush ready for her in the bathroom. Next, he put more cabinets above the island in the kitchen to separate the space they had and create the illusion of privacy.

After a week, there was the easel and the paints. She couldn't believe he'd thought to turn their tiny studio into a place where she could create art. At that moment, she was convinced he'd bring a piano there if he could fit it inside.

Davyn truly loved her. She could see it in every gesture, in the way he smiled as they lay in bed, in his touch and his kisses. In the way he taught her everything about making love. His patience, his tenderness... He was so different from the man he showed the outside world. He only showed who he really was to her. And that meant more than anything.

She knew there was still a part of him he hid from her. It made him thoughtful and brooding at times before he snapped out of it and smiled again. It gave him nightmares and caused his migraines. But as the nights went on, she was happy that it seemed to be less frequent.

As they spent prom night together in bed, she found herself watching him. He'd fallen into one of his contemplative states, glancing out the window into the darkness. The shadows the light of the candles threw on his face made him look both terrifying and mesmerizing.

He'd been right, as usual. She'd much rather spend the night with him than go to school and face a crowd she felt nothing for.

"Do you regret not going to prom?"

"Hmm?" It took him a moment to turn from the window to her. The wince was very subtle, but she caught it.

"Is it your head again?"

"No, I'm fine." He leaned on one elbow, angling his body towards her, a small smile on his face.

"Do you have migraines often?" she asked.

He hesitated for a few moments and she sensed he felt inclined to lie. But with a heavy sigh, he seemed to decide against it.

"I didn't use to have them before everything. Then a lot. And now... Well, you seem to be good at keeping them away."

She smiled, a pleasant warmth settling in her chest. He didn't lie. She really did make him feel better, and that mattered more than anything.

"I know how to cure your migraines."

He grinned, that mischievous glint in his eyes that brought butterflies to her stomach. "Oh? Do tell."

Trying to keep a straight face, she pulled his t-shirt over her head. Before the material cleared her eyes, he pinned her hands above her head and rolled on top of her.

"And you were asking silly questions like if I regret not going to prom." He kissed her neck, sending a pleasant current down her spine. "I couldn't have done this at prom. Or this..." He trailed kisses down her shoulder.