51. The Flight of Snitch Gravel

Even if he hadn't gotten a confirmation per se, Davyn was sure that he had been accepted into all three universities of his choice. The people at MIT had almost confirmed it to his face after he'd showed them what he could do inside a lab if left to his own devices. Harvard and Yale would surely follow, and by the time the next year rolled around, he could start studying the syllabus and get a headstart.

Yes, his visit had been a resounding success, and he was ready to come clean to Millie and explain how this would put their lives on the right path.

Truth be told, he'd missed her, and he couldn't wait to crawl back into bed with her. Not even for the sex, though he'd missed that too, but just to hold her and fall asleep with her in his arms. He'd turned into a right sap, but this gave him hope that they would have time for everything. To live together without a constant threat over their heads, to grow more comfortable around each other. To maybe stop playing games. Have a love like his parents' that would hopefully last longer.

He shouldn't get ahead of himself. There was so much more to go until that point, but he wouldn't deny it was what he wanted. Millie was the one, after all. His always and forever, just like his mother had been for his father. After all, it was death which had finally separated them.

The thought of his mother had his gut twisting uncomfortably. Last time he'd asked, Freider mentioned she was doing better. Maybe it was time to see if she could finally be released. It might work wonders for Ron, and maybe he'd finally kick his drug habit.

All would be well.

And yet, as he neared Chicago, he got a nagging feeling that something was wrong. He was sure it had something to do with being near Baron again and still having to deal with that garbage until next fall. But he'd figure something out.

The city was cold and windy, snowflakes swishing through the air. The closer he got to school, the streets seemed clogged with police and the sinking feeling in his stomach intensified. It reached boiling point by the time he reached the Saint Agnes area. The streets were closed off, and police and firemen lingered. Black smoke still hung in the air. It choked him even if it was nowhere near the car.

His impulse should have been to rush out and see what had happened, but the way the policemen were glancing at him stopped him from getting out of the car. Instead, he drove by and parked around the corner before switching his music off and turning on the radio. He searched through the stations, fingers numb, until he finally tuned on the news.

"...is still trying to find him. However, many accounts from different sources have managed to paint a preliminary picture of the elusive Snitch Gravel. Dark hair, blue eyes, very tall and broad. Remember, if you see him, stay well away. The man is extremely dangerous."

"I'll say, Sally. Did anyone pass by Saint Agnes lately? That dorm building is still fuming, and, even if the authorities have refused any more statements on the subject, it is believed that as many as ten students have lost their lives in the fire."

The two anchors rambled on, but only certain words managed to make their way into Davyn's rattled brain.

A fire. The dorm rooms had burned down, and everyone thought it was Snitch Gravel. Everyone was looking to find him and hold him accountable.

Millie. Where was Millie?

The thought jolted him back into action and filled him with nausea.

No, I told her to stay at my place. Thank God he'd told her to stay at his place. If she'd taken his advice and just relaxed, she might not even know about all this. Then, he could tell her first and convince her that he had nothing to do with it.