35. New Management

It was easy to feel more like himself again with purpose.

Davyn didn't like where this was going, but he was well aware that he had more than one reason now to seriously consider Harkin's offer.

Alleviating Millie's fears was one thing. Saving Ron's life was another. Then there was the general outrage against Harkin's activities, which had stirred the activists within and around the school into action.

The general outrage against the dealings had been fueled once Karen was arrested for possession of dangerous drugs. Now that the school year was over, the commotion had died down considerably, but there were still a few people camping next to signs reading "Free Saint Agnes of drugs" on the lawn and reading books.

Summer school was in session, and there were activists there, too.

Davyn watched the three people silently protesting as he went inside the school building. It was still open as the teachers got ready for vacation and organized their activities for the summer. A part of him knew he should find coach Davis and return the key to the gym, but it gave him access to a place he might need later, so he kept it.

What he needed now, however, was trouble.

As he walked the empty hallways to his once-locker, he ran over the plan once again. If he was going to do this, he was going to do it right. And the first thing he had to do was find out just how deep Harkin's operations went and how many people he had running around, selling drugs and extorting people.

Then, he'd figure out what to do with the resources and how to best organize them in a mutually beneficial manner. Even if he didn't like what Harkin was doing, he was very aware that he couldn't destroy him. Maybe just redirect his negative impact in places where they wouldn't touch Ron, Millie, or anyone else he might care about. Easy.

Less easy was finding Harkin when he didn't want to be found. Except in Davyn's case, he knew that his new subordinate needed him. And he wasn't wrong. Once he reached his locker, he only had to wait for five minutes before Harkin appeared from around the corner. He was alone this time, hands deep inside his pockets.

"Hello. Nicholas," Davyn said, the moment the guy approached. "I heard you didn't graduate this year either. Tell me, how much longer do you think they'll keep you here?"

"What's it to you?" Harkin snarled, stopping far enough to avoid getting punched in the face. Maybe he wasn't that stupid after all.

"Those people holding signs outside don't seem too happy with you."

"Fuck them. As long as my family keeps pumping money into this school, I'll be here for as long as I want."

And here was the first problem Davyn wanted to eliminate. For Millie, as well as for anyone else suffering at this asshole's hand.

"You could do so much more productive things with your time."

His eyes narrowed. "Such as?"

"Such as moving out into the real world." Davyn leaned his back against the row of lockers and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Are you here to mock me?"

He quirked a brow. "Mock you? I'm here to discuss your proposition."

Harkin's demeanor changed at once, and he pulled his hands out of his pockets and took a step closer. "Don't you dare dangle that it my face."

"Is it dangling if I'm actually willing to do it?"

He didn't bite, not yet, and it made Davyn realize that he might be a valuable ally down this road after all.