17. Organic Chemistry

Millie was honestly shocked that Davyn had accepted her more than terrible idea to meet in the library. When she'd said it, she'd expected him to scoff at her, point out that they had no freedom of movement or even the permission to really talk in there.

He didn't, he just agreed with her with an evil glint in his eyes. That glint made her want to kiss him so much. What was wrong with her? She liked him when he was nice and actually stopped teasing her.

She liked him better when he kissed her right after teasing her into silence.

No, she needed to pull herself together and stop this game. She didn't even know what it was. And yet, all she could think about was him which was highly unusual.

She'd always been a bit of a loner, spending most of her childhood with Max and without the need for anyone else. Things started to change as the two of them grew up and Max started hanging out with other boys. She got along well with people in general, but she'd never actually had close friends.

Once she'd started high-school, it had all been about making her parents proud. After her father died, even more so. She'd been so busy with Julliard, she hadn't given anyone a second thought.

Until Davyn showed up.

He was infuriating, distracting and a giant pain in the butt.

He mesmerized her in ways music never could.

Why? She didn't even like him. Sure, he was very good looking and kissing him made her toes curl, but that didn't warrant this obsession. It happened once. A few times. They had this weird form of companionship which she enjoyed. Even that paled in the face of their newly discovered options for interactions.

What am I supposed to do with that? What am I supposed to do now?

What is this, what is this, what is this?

Her head pounded with the question as she headed for the library. Was this any better than meeting in the gym or the music room? Did she really want him not to kiss her anymore? Wouldn't his mere presence distract her anyway?

Concluding that homework was a lot less important than practicing her music, she sat at a table in the back of the room, surrounded by multiple library cases. There were other study groups, but they were further away, so she could ignore the whispered chatter. She wasn't sure whether Davyn was there, but she wasn't about to start looking from him. If he wanted to see her, he'd surely find her. She'd take advantage of the silence to get started on her homework.

She took her math notebooks out of her backpack and placed them on the table, spreading them out. Then, she took a longer time than usual to find a suitable pen. By the time her nose was out of her backpack and she paid attention to her surroundings again, Davyn was already sitting on the right side of the table, perpendicular to her, his hands locked behind his head.

Even if she wasn't surprised that he could sneak around so efficient, she still flinched at his sudden appearance. "How do you move like that?" she whispered.

"It's a useful life skill," he replied, leaning back on the hindlegs of the chair and balancing on them.

"Alright." 

She had no idea what else to say. He wasn't pulling out any books, just watching her. Heat rose to her cheeks, but she decided to pretend he wasn't there and opened her notebooks. It was so awkward to try and figure out equations with him just lingering there. Was she too slow? Would he think she was stupid? To be fair, she enjoyed numbers, but the more complicated math stuff just felt unnecessary.

Why wasn't he saying anything? And why, oh why, did she feel like staring at him every two seconds?

"Don't you have any homework?" she asked.