20. Dead Rats

"Go to dinner with me."

The words had escaped Davyn's mouth before he could filter them and convince himself what a bad idea it was.

Millie's sapphire eyes widened, and her lips parted, making her look like innocence incarnate. Like one of the models in her ethereal paintings which were still bathed in sunlight next to them.

Was there a chance that he hadn't said it out loud? That this was all a dream and he'd wake up in his bed, on his birthday again? Maybe then he'd make wiser decisions for the day.

"Yes, of course. Um, where do you want to go?"

Nope, he'd definitely let it out. And her surprise had morphed into a childish delight which he really enjoyed. She'd most likely never been out to dinner with a guy, so he was bringing another first into her life.

"Not now. It's obviously too early for dinner. I'll pick you up at seven."

Her eyebrows drew together in concentration as she seemed to be analyzing the brilliant plan which he was just making up on the spot.

"Where are we going?"

"It's going to be a surprise."

"Then how will I know how to get dressed?"

"It doesn't matter. Dress however you like."

She didn't insist, but by the way she bit her lower lip, it was obvious that she was doing a quick scan of her wardrobe. He wanted to mention she should be fine as long as she changed out of the overalls, but then his eyes drifted to the half-done portrait of himself and swallowed his words. She'd earned those overalls and then some.

A smile brightened her features, and she almost looked like one of her paintings. "Okay. I'll meet you out in the parking lot."

He couldn't help but kiss her again before he headed towards his house. He couldn't believe how early it was. He also couldn't believe that he'd basically just asked her out. He wasn't sure he'd ever taken a girl out to dinner. Movies, yes. Other fun activities which could work as foreplay, also yes. Parties? All the time. But dinner? What was he even looking to get out of this?

But as he reached home and got out of the car, he couldn't say he cared. Just food and more teasing so he could end his birthday on a high note. As he made his way to his room and headed for the shower, he racked his brain trying to come up with a restaurant to take her to. He could always check the Yellow Pages, but he didn't want to just risk it. He guessed there was this tiny Italian place he knew where he used to sometimes hang out with his father after martial arts practice. The thought of his father made him shudder. He really didn't want to go to a familiar place. Plus, Italian just seemed very unoriginal.

As he pulled on a pair of stone grey jeans, he remembered this fancy French place his mother had always wanted to go to, but they'd never really had the opportunity what with Sirius always being busy and his schedule inconsistent. Yeah, they could go there, he decided as he buttoned up a black shirt. Plus, she might appreciate the French setting.

His mind made up, he checked his watch and headed down the stairs. Even if it was still early, end of the workday traffic would make sure he arrived back at school just on time. He didn't want to keep Millie waiting.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He'd barely made it to the bottom of the stairs when Freider's voice grated on his nerves. He fought not to wince, but he only half-managed it.

"Out," he answered with a shrug and continued his way into the hall.

Freider dropped his keys on the table with a loud bang. "Don't you think it's about time you started doing things around here?"