32. The Shadow Figure

Davyn couldn't remember the last time he'd been so impatient during basketball practice. Maybe never, since he usually enjoyed it. But this time, with the prospect of being with Millie again, all the strategy and the running around the court just annoyed him.

Yes, they had the last game of the season and recruiters might be there and so on, but he really didn't care and it definitely didn't justify stretching the practice for another hour.

By the time they were finally dismissed, he was filled with anxious energy since he would be cutting it close to pick Millie up on time. But finally, after what felt like forever, he'd taken his shower, was finally packing his stuff and his teammates were going away.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us, Dav?" Will asked, zipping his duffle bag. "The cheerleaders will be there and I know a particular one who would love to see you."

He truly doubted it after their last interaction. "No, I'm good. I have somewhere else to be."

"Yeah, man," Kevin said, nudging Will's shoulder with his fist. "He's going out with the artsy girl, remember?"

Will huffed. "Kissing her once or doing her doesn't mean he's going out with her."

"I actually am," Davyn said, keeping his voice neutral. "So that should put an end to the discussion about my love life which is none of your business."

The guys mumbled, but ultimately backed off. They've always been friendly so there was no reason for them to antagonize him, especially now before the last game. They needed him and they knew it. At least for one more game.

He was glad when the locker room finally emptied and he could focus on getting his stuff out of his locker. He had some spare clothes there and he needed them since he hadn't exactly packed his bags at home because he'd avoided going there. A twinge of guilt twisted his gut at the thought of Ron, but maybe not seeing him and fighting was the better option, at least at the moment.

Ever since coming out of the hospital, Ron had turned so hostile that every conversation was filled with snark and jabs. While Davyn could usually tolerate Ron's attitude, it was becoming too much, especially after what Davyn was willing to risk for him. He'd rather not see him for a while just to make sure he didn't smack him in the face. And avoiding Fdeider in the process was just an added bonus.

And then there was Millie. He'd much rather stay with her than in that hell-hole of a house filled with aggressive silence. His extra gym stuff would have to do until he got around to packing.

He closed his locker and turned around just to come face to face with Harkin. All his muscles tensed and his jaw clenched.

"Get out of my face," he growled.

Harkin complied, taking a step back. He stayed silent which in itself was weird. Davyn's gaze moved from Harkin's reluctant expression to the shadows moving between the rows of lockers. If he wasn't mistaken, there were five other guys there, lurking around. It only made him tense further as he realized Harkin was most likely not there to just talk.

"What do you want?" he asked, focusing on their leader.

"I need the rest of the plan," Harkin answered, his voice low, as if he didn't want his own men to hear.

"I already told you. The rest of the plan is for your boss only. Lead me to Snitch Gravel and he can have it."

Harkin shook his head. "That's impossible. He won't see you."

Anger and disappointment twisted Davyn's stomach. He'd thought this would work, that he could solve things for Ron and anyone else exposed to this garbage. "Then it's just as impossible for you to get the rest."