✥ 28 | Heartbeats

The only normal people are the ones you don't know well. It was a quote from Alfred Adler that had inspired Reema Mittal to become a psychiatrist. There was a general definition of being human, it was like a circle. And most humans, didn't fit into this circle. No one ever fit it perfectly. Either there would be something lacking or something overdone. The perfect balance was almost unachievable.

Sidharth seemed like a normal guy, the first time she met him. But as she got to know him, she began to see things that did not fit into the normal category for him. 

Everyone has issues. Some people could deal with it by themselves. Some needed help from their immediate environment to help them out. Some chose to ignore the issues. Some chose to give up. And then there were some, who were unaware of their issues, they could feel it, intensely even, but not understand it, not do anything about it. 

Sidharth fell into that last category. His emotions had the power on him, he had no power on them. She was surprised for sure when she received a call from Sidharth's mobile number but Sanjh spoke. But it wasn't hard to digest.

Sidharth was stuck in a downward moving spiral. She could only hope he held on to her hand learned how to climb out of it before his hand gave up.

"Hello, Sanjh, I am on the ground floor by the elevator," Reema spoke into the phone looking around for a woman on the floor who was on the phone. And just as she turned to the other side she spotted one who was looking towards her, with a phone pressed to her ear.

"I see you," she said walking towards her.

"Hi, Sanjh?" Reema spoke with a little bit of uncertainty. The woman who stood before her was naturally beautiful but looked pale, looked older for her years. 

"Hi, I had called you. Actually I called you because I saw your missed call on his phone and you had sent two messages asking him to visit you. And then he passed out... I wasn't sure what was happening. And I saw a doctor on his call log. So I just called."

"It's perfectly fine, I understand."

"You're Sidharth's doctor?" Sanjh asked confused. She had never seen this woman before. 

"No. I am a friend."

"Oh okay. I am sorry, I thought..." Sanjh's voice trailed off. She knew most of Sidharth's friends. After their marriage they had gone out for a lot of dinners. He had introduced her to a lot of people. But she was sure he hadn't mentioned any friend who was a doctor.

"That's fine Sanjh. How is he now?"

"The doctors say he is fine. He's resting. His BP was drastically low which caused him to pass out. His blood sugar was low too. Doctors suspect he didn't eat anything."

Reema nodded, recollecting the conversation with Sidharth from the morning. "Don't worry he should be fine. Um, I will probably try to talk to the doctors and see if I can understand more about his health." Reema said with a small smile and walked ahead.

Sanjh nodded. Something was amiss. Like a puzzle where the piece fit but it didn't complete the picture. "Uh, doctor,"

Reema turned to her. "I haven't heard from him about you. How do you know him?"

"Minal is our common friend."  Reema said, a simple sentence that would explain everything to her.

"Oh, " she said, nodding. Reema smiled politely and walked away.

* * *

When Sidharth opened his eyes he was a little dazed. He realized he was in a hospital room. But had no clue how he got there. The door flew open and he noticed Dr Reema walk in along with another doctor, a man in white coat. She was followed by his hysterical mother. His father and Sanjh were the last one to enter along with a nurse on their trail.