Chapter 12. A Breakthrough

"What do you do while I'm at work during the day?" I immediately press with the next question. This unexpected breakthrough in our communication must be used in the best way possible.

   "I am sorry, First Rank Commander Haru. I can't answer the question. My protocols prohibit the disclosure of certain information."

   "What should I do then, if I don't want you to go in there anymore?" I ask hopefully. We are talking. That's a big step forward. I'll try to get all the information I can.

   "If you want your Universal Companion to stay with you longer than twelve hours, you need to choose a permanent identity. It is valid for 365 days," Adam answers promptly. It is actually a precise quote from the manual and I am really starting to hate this indifference and the ringing, computer sound. I want to hear the deep, teasing, sexy voice I love so much. I miss all the affection I hear in it.

   "Permanent, huh?" I scratch my head, pursing my lips. I've read the brick-like book, not all of it, of course, but a considerable part. I am perfectly aware of how identities work, but it sounds so final. What if Adam hates the look I've selected? Would they tell me that? I don't think so. What if they are actually a female or non-binary and I force them to live in a brawny, male body for a year? Adam seems content with it when we are together, but how can I be absolutely sure? This is not about what I desire. I've come to realize that my lover's happiness has become more important to me than my own. And the other important issue... "Baby, if I decide to select a permanent identity, can you be separated from your console and the chamber? I mean being far, far away, like on another planet, or thousands of kilometers away from them?"

   "It is possible only for the active protocol's duration."

   "Ok, ok, now we're getting somewhere," I mumble, deep in thought. This gives me some options, but I am still not completely satisfied. A year is a long time. Even if the supporting devices get destroyed, there will be enough time to find an alternative. A bit risky, but better than loosing Adam. However, I still need consent.

   "Listen, Adam," I place my open palm on the glass door, hoping that they can see and somehow feel the importance of what I am about to say. "We might find ourselves in a situation which would force us to abandon ship. It's bad enough that it may be necessary to leave Aurora behind, but I'll worry about that later. In any case, I am not going without you. You must help me here. I'll select a permanent identity, if that's what I have to do, but I need a confirmation. Work with me. Who are you? Who do you want to be? I will like you anyway. I don't care what your appearance is. Nothing will change between us. I promise... no, I swear. Please!"

   Silence. Horrifying, long, deafening silence. Every minute seems like eternity.

   Despair is overwhelming me. The lump in my throat is getting bigger. Adam won't trust me again. Maybe, there is no definite answer and I was wrong. Perhaps, other protocols prohibit them to make a choice on their own. Maybe, I saw more into it than it actually was. Despite my in-depth knowledge about computers, engineering, biochemistry and what not, I've let myself fall for a machine, like a fool. Obviously, I am not as fit to be a deep space pilot as the admiral assumes and solitude has finally affected my ability to act reasonably. 

   Brandon was right. Feelings suck. They only make life more complicated and inflict pain. Because it hurts. It really fucking hurts. Like a knife straight to the heart.

   I am standing up slowly, leaning against the wall. All my strength and the will to keep fighting are suddenly lost. My legs are weak. The pain in my chest is almost unbearable.

   "I am Adam." The voice is quiet and hesitant. "I know who I am.... I am Adam... your man... the one you want. This is me."

   My jaw drops. I didn't expect it. I am on the brink of utter despair and it just doesn't allow me to believe in this little miracle.

   "Are you sure?" I barely whisper. "You aren't saying this only because your protocols require to please me, right?"

   "All I know is that I want us to be together," the computer voice answers. "Exactly the way we were before. It would please me. I am the same person I was yesterday... and the day before that... and a month ago... I am... a person. It must be enough for you, Haru, because that's all I know and I am not sure I understand it."

   "Yes, it's enough," I state firmly and immediately get to replicating the latest identity selection and making it permanent. He is mine. He wants me. He is my Adam... at least for the next year. Whatever happens from now on, wherever I have to go, with Aurora or in a shuttle, he is coming with me.

    The final seconds between the confirmation and the door opening almost make me lose my mind. The moment I see him, I'm plastered on him like a tattoo with my arms tight around his neck and my mouth feverishly searching his lips.

   "Heyy, I'm here, Puppy," he chuckles and the sound of his voice spreads through my body like a heat wave in summer. "It's ok, baby. I'm not going anywhere. Don't strangle me."

   "Shut up," I groan and finally manage to capture his lips. 

   Our kiss is savage. My back is pressed against the wall. He grips my butt and I use the support to wrap my legs around his waist. We are both biting, sucking and panting, loosing ourselves in the sensations. 

   "Take me to the bedroom," I moan when Adam pulls away to take a breath. "Please, Daddy. I want you so bad. Please! No more waiting."

   "Aren't we moving too fast, Puppy," he laughs. "You must be tired. Hungry? Don't you want to discuss this? You always have so many questions."

   He carefully puts me back on my feet and motions with a hand towards himself. "What about my look? You didn't even spare a glance at me. I've put so much effort into this only to impress you."

   I haven't noticed his incredibly stylish outfit, a little vintage, with leather suspenders and an elegant, plaid tie. He is a total eye candy.

   "Gorgeous," I grin, pulling him by the wrist. "Nothing new. You are always hot. Let's fuck."

   He squints at me suspiciously. "What about the alien invasion? Are we going to ignore it? And how come you have no more questions?"

   "Yeah, I have a million questions and intend to ask them all," I grumble. "And believe me, those black spheres never leave my mind for a single second. This is all very important no doubt, but there's nothing more I can do about it right now." 

   "You're right," Adam nods, finally letting me lead him across the house. "You need to relax."

   I stop abruptly and turn around to face him, pushing a finger into his firm biceps. "I've been dreaming about you for months. You've been stubborn and constantly getting on my nerves. I am stuck on you and am not ashamed to admit it. So, let me tell you what I need. I need neither food, nor drink or sleep and even less to worry about tomorrow. I love your clothes and the way you make them look so damn good, but honestly, I'd rather they disappear because all I need is you."

   "I feel exactly the same." Adam pulls me to his chest, brushing his fingers through my hair. He leans closer and right before our lips touch, breathes out, "Haru, before I completely loose control, I must say this. Thank you for not giving up on me!"

________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of Chapter 12.

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Adam seems confused by the fact that he made his own decision about his identity?

Do you have theories about what is going on with The Universal Companion?

Do you expect any reaction from the alien stalkers?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize and I will respond as much as I can.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the chapter.

Love: Anny