Like a Chess Board

It was just passed 1:45 AM, it had been 5 days since (Y/N) had received the letter, and his nerves were constantly getting the better of him. Constantly looking over his shoulder, his X-Ray vision was flickering as he thought someone was just out of view. He had still yet to tell anyone, it's better they didn't know. (Y/N) was already enough of a burden. But now was not the time for emotion, now was the time for action. 

(Y/N) stood in a corn field, his hand lightly touching the still growing produce. He was dressed in a short sleeved blue shirt and red shorts, he was barefoot as he didn't want to ruin any shoes with what he was about to attempt. The young Kryptonian took in a sharp breath, the fresh air flinging his lungs as he looked forward seeing it almost like a run-way clear for him. One foot in front of the other, what started out as a slow walk, slowly turned into a jog. (Y/N) maintained his breathing as the jog turned into a run, the dirt beneath his feet was thrown lightly into the air started moving his shoulders and arms along with his legs. 

(Y/N) noticed how has fast he was running, thinking that it was time, (Y/N) tensed the muscles in his feet and legs. Just as he passed a post, (Y/N) leapt high into the air. Knocking all the crops around him down as the Kryptonian was launched upwards, the moonlight hitting his skin as he smiled. As his altitude decreased and he began to fall back down, a few birds passed (Y/N) and he gently reached out to try and touch them. 

Just then (Y/N) found himself approaching the ground at a rapid pace, as he looked down and saw the dirt approaching his once again tensed his lower muscles. Just as (Y/N) touched the ground, he once again leapt upwards this time higher than before. Just as (Y/N) passed the clouds, he pushed his arms upwards, pushing him even further. 

'Just a little bit more' he thought to himself as (Y/N) could feel himself continue to climb. Just as he went further, his shoulder began to ache as the muscle tensed. The same shoulder that was shot by Jor-El all those years ago. However, (Y/N)'s hopes and dreams were dashed as his momentum slowed, and he slowly began to fall back down to the Earth. His arms and legs flailed around as (Y/N) tried his best to force his body to activate his flight ability. Just before (Y/N) hit the ground, a 'whoosh' echoed through the air as he felt himself gently touch down. 

Opening his eyes, (Y/N) wasn't surprised to see Clark there, with his arms crossed and a small smile. "Hello (Y/N)" he said as the younger Kryptionian stood up straight, brushing himself off. 

"Clark I-uh" he stumbled over his words trying to find an excuse. "Wasn't expecting you at this part of the world" (Y/N) nervously said rubbing the back of his head. "How's Metropolis?"

"Good" was all Clark said. "I see you're starting to get a handle on everything" Clark joked as he floated down and stepped onto the ground. 

"Yeah, I just thought in the dead of night, now would be a good time to you know-" (Y/N) was cut off before he could finish. 

"Keep testing the limit?" Clark asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"Yeah, how did you know?" (Y/N) responded. 

"Just a little something dad" he started. "Jor-El, the construct said when I first started testing the limit. You'll find a boundary for your powers, and somehow, someway, you can push past that boundary" Clark finished.

"Hopefully" (Y/N) chuckled slightly. "I can't seem to get a handle on the whole, flight thing. I can seem to leap higher and higher, but never fully be one with the wind" (Y/N) explained, embarrassed that Clark had caught him during a training session. 

"How about heat vision? Any news on how that's going?" Clark pressed. 

(Y/N) recalled the previous night, where his eyes flared up and he had to hold himself back from letting out a raged filled red blast. "I'm......starting to come along I think, I've pushed myself and I'm starting to show signs of it yeah" the two Kryptonians began to walk back to the Kent Farm, Clark sharing stories of Metropolis and the World beyond.