What Tomorrow Throws at You

It had been two days since the capital bombing, and all throughout the United States, its citizens, politicians were all playing the blame game. Some pinning it on the mad-man who snuck a bomb in, some on the security who should have spotted said bomb, but a select view put the blame on the two Kryptonians. Many arguing that their mere presence, invited such madness and hostility. Clark has.......well he's been absent to say the least. Last (Y/N) heard, Lois had given him a small talk at their place. Marth hadn't heard a peep from the reporter. 

(Y/N) on the other hand, he had barley said a few words. He confined himself to his room, barley eating or drinking. He just sat there, wallowing in his thoughts and despair. The memory playing out over, and over, and over again. The flames, the cries of pain and panic, the words uttered by Corben. It seemed no matter what (Y/N) did, he could not rid himself of such thoughts. 

Martha made sure to give (Y/N) the space he needed, but there were times where she did her best to give the young Kryptonian some small words of advice and wisdom. Such as now, several knocks on (Y/N)'s door could be heard, snapping him out of his lonely thoughts. 

"(Y/N)" Martha said, her voice low but full of emotion. "Can I come in?" she asked. 

(Y/N) thought over it for a second, taking in a deep breath before speaking out to answer her. "Yeah sure" he cleared his throat slightly at the end. The wooden door creaked open, Martha letting out a sigh seeing the poor state (Y/N) was in. 

"How are you holding up?" Martha asked, as she walked into the door, (Y/N) didn't make eye contact with her. 

"Better than yesterday" (Y/N) answered, sucking in a breath through his nose. "Any news from-" 

"No, nothing from Clark" she shook her head, he already knew the answer. Just wanted to hear it from Martha herself. "I know you don't wanna hear this (Y/N), but you have to move on" Martha pleaded, knowing that he blamed himself for something he didn't even know about until it was too late. 

"How am I supposed to do that?" (Y/N) said, looking up at Martha and making fists in his hands. "Every time I look on the news, every time I try to listen in on what people are saying they all say the same thing. So how am I supposed to move on, when everyone around me hates? They think the real me, is this sick person raised by Zod" he said, tears slightly welling up in his eyes. "They look at Clark and see a saviour, they see me as nothing than a tool of destruction". 

"No (Y/N) what's real is your strength and integrity and compassion" Martha said, sitting beside (Y/N) on the bed. "As long as you remain honest to those things, it doesn't matter what they think about you, what they think you are. What matters is what you know you are, if you stay true to your beliefs and knowing what you, yourself stand for. Who cares what other's say about you" Martha said, giving words of wisdom that struck (Y/N) at his core. "People will always hate the unknown, what they don't understand. How could you know what was gonna happen, Clark didn't, it doesn't matter what this world throws at you, as long as you're prepared to face tomorrow. You'll never have to worry about what people say" Martha finished standing up from the bed, and for the first time (Y/N) looked up at her. 

As Martha neared the door, (Y/N) called out to her. "Martha" he said with her turning round. "Thank you" he said with a nod of his head, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. 

"No problem" she smiled, "It's what I'm here for" she said, hope shining in her eyes, (Y/N) could hear her footsteps getting more quiet as she moved downstairs. He arose from the bed, drying his eyes as he moved towards the door. 

(Y/N) rested his hand on the door frame, the bed looking ever so comfortable as he looked back. "Face tomorrow" he whispered to himself, pushing forward and closing the door behind him. He didn't feel a 100% percent better, no one recovers instantly. But he did feel as if he could actually face the world now, rather than cower in the corner like some would have him do. 

(Y/N) moved downstairs, his footsteps barley noticeable but Martha could hear him. As she was getting ready to go to work, Martha smiled to herself. She noticed the young man was moving towards the door. 

"Now where are you off to?" she asked, slight mixture of pride and happiness in her voice. 

(Y/N) jumped on the spot, not expecting her to hear him he turned around to face her. "I think-" he stuttered over his own words, needing time to think. "I think I'm gonna go for a run" he announced, to which Martha gave a nod. It was approaching dusk, around 17:42. Martha would be working until close. 

"Be careful, don't hurt yourself" Martha called out. 

A Few Miles Away

(Y/N) found himself in one of the many cornfields that surrounded the Kent Farm. He been running for a few minutes, taking deep, and concentrated breathes as he focused on this one, singular moment. He disconnected his hearing from the outside world, and focused solely on himself. The tensing of his muscles, the way the ground heaved, the metal of his slightly damaged Kruptonian armour moved and creaked along his body. (Y/N) took off, his feet creating miniature ripples in the ground, knocking down some corn as he ran as fast as his legs would carry him. 

He maintained his focus on himself, how his legs felt like machines, never stopping, never tiring not for a moment. How (Y/N)'s arms would maintain his composure, and near technique perfect. (Y/N) kept his breathing calm and content. Carrying on his long run, small leaps were taken. Nothing insane, only a few metres in the air and then back down. His speed ever so increasing and his muscles tensing and bulging as the end of the cornfield was rapidly approaching. (Y/N) sucked in one sharp breath, and leapt high into the air forward, right fist forward pointing directly at the sky. 

The sound barrier was broken, as a large shockwave was created as (Y/N) rocketed forward, the world passing him by as he allowed his breathing to relax. (Y/N) looked downwards, seeing the night lights of Smallville slowly turning on as he smiled with glee. The clouds passed the young kryptonian by, brining his second fist forward to steady himself as the ride began to get a little rocky. Spending the next hour or so, simply enjoying the feeling of soaring among the clouds. 

(Y/N) enjoyed the moment while he could, as that night, a Doomsday would alter his life, for the better or for the worse. 

Author's Note 

Apologises for how short this chapter ended up being. Really wanted to capture the essence and give (Y/N) his own 'first flight' moment like the way Snyder did for Clark, and I hope I made it noteworthy for you all. Also if Martha's little speech was all over the place, I went through several drafts of that speech and it ended being this mess of a few speeches combined so that's way it might look the way it does. 

Anyway, see you guys next time.