Chapter Seventeen

- Hey Siri, Play Skin by Daniel Knutelsky-

—————————————————

Dear O,

It's been a month since you left, and I'm starting to get better... I think.

Sam keeps calling me, but I won't answer. I don't want to answer a phone call unless it's from you. I don't want to answer my apartment door, unless I see you standing on the other side of it.

Maybe I'm not okay... who knows.

Did you change your number? I think you did cause every time I call it goes to that stupid tone, the one that either means I've been block, or you changed your number. I wish you didn't do that... Laura came by today, I didn't answer the door.

You would be mad that I didn't, cause I know how much you love them. But I can't forgive them for helping you leave without telling you to talk to me first. I know I should've followed you on the plane and got on my knees, begged you to hear me out.

But I was a coward. So I am the only one to blame for that. I should've fought harder for you, but I let you go. So I will have to deal with that, I hope I see a glimpse of you soon.

Maybe I'm not getting better, maybe I just want to lie to myself a little bit longer. Only time will truly tell that answer though...

Love always.

-James.

————————————————————————————

Odette sighed as she placed the letters back inside the drawer. When she woke up, the first place she moved to was the desk, desperate to read more of the words that were slowly breaking her heart.

The few that she had read were all the same, he missed her, and she hurt him. It pained her heart to know what she put him through. She always thought that he never cared, but the letters are proving her thoughts to be wrong.

"Morning, hungry?" Bucky asked from the doorway, causing her to look up. She shook her head and turned to the window, not wanting to look at him. Bucky watched her for a moment, and sighed. "I'm sorry for leaving last night. I should've stayed to talk—"

"No. Don't apologize. I left you, so I understand what you felt when I did." Odette said as she pushed back the tears in her eyes.

Bucky looked down at the floor when he realized that maybe leaving the letters was a bad idea. "I can take them and burn them. I don't want to hurt you with my words anymore."

Odette turned and shook her head at him, she covered the drawer with her hands. "Don't you dare. I need to read these, I need to know how I made you feel." She hissed. Bucky held his hands up in defense, backing away from the door.