- Chapter 1: Nightcord at 25:00 -

Outside, the sky was black as ink. The time was 25:00 AM. It was silent except for the occasional typing of a boy sitting in his room, in front of the piercing bright light of his computer.

"Are you alright, Z?" a quiet voice buzzed through his headphones.

"You know how he gets, once he's in the zone, he won't say another word!" another voice said.

"Let's just leave him alone for now.." said another, deeper voice.

Z sighed, "You know I can hear you guys.. I'm just working on this song..."

Still, he gave a small smile from behind the screen.

8 months ago, Zane Ro'meave, known online as "Z", started the online music group "Nightcord at 25:00 AM" (Shortened to N25) with his online friends FC, Shu, and Nanachi. A group known for meeting up late at night using the application Nightcord, they had never met each other in real life, nor did they know each others' real names or faces, but they didn't need to know. They only had one goal, to save everyone with their music. Those aware of their online presence question and theorize about who these mysterious music producers are. 

"I've finished the music video for our last song, everyone ready to upload?"

That was Shu, the animator for Nightcord at 25:00. She worked with Nanachi, the artist, to create all of N25's music videos.

"Alright, I'm excited to see the finished product. Ready Z?" FC said. He was the arranger for N25.

Zane nodded, not that anyone could see it. "Yes, hopefully it reaches the right audience."

Zane was the composer and lyricist for Nightcord at 25:00.

"Yay! Alright then, give it a few seconds, and it's uploaded!" Shu said happily.

FC laughed, "How can you have so much energy so late at night?"

"Hmph, I'm just excited!"

"Well, let's watch the video again?" Nanachi suggested.

Shu screenshared it as the rest of the group watched. A song played, it sounded hauntingly despairful, yet hopeful. The music video accompanying it was equally as melancholic, but watching everything together, you felt empty yet... Saved.

"No, something isn't right." Z interrupted.

Shu paused the video, "Hm, is something wrong with it?"

"Something about it, this type of song isn't what I was trying to write.." He sighed. "I need to try harder."

"W-Wait, you already overwork yourself!" Nanachi interrupted. "At this rate, you'll pass out!"

FC awkwardly cleared his throat as Z went silent. "Anyways, any ideas for the next song? You already started writing it, right Z?"

"Yes, actually, I saw another music artist online, they call themself OWN. I think their music is similar to ours, but.."

He pulled up the song and played it. What played was a dismal song, but not like N25's music. N25's music was sorrowful, but filled you with a bittersweet feeling. There were no words, but the song felt like nothing but pure, unbridled sadness and rage.

"What type of song is this? Listening to it makes me feel so empty, but.. I want to keep listening to it.." Nanachi said slowly.

Everyone silently agreed, as they listened to the painful melody.

"Well then, time to log off?" FC asked when the song ended.

"Yeah, we can work on the new song tomorrow.." Shu said, still taken aback from the song.

"Good night everyone!" Nanachi said before yawning.

"See you tomorrow at 25:00 AM?" Z asked.

Everyone logged off for the night.

 - END OF CHAPTER 1 -