the 65th hunger games

Finnick and I sort of ignored the conversation we had a few weeks ago on the beach. We acted normally all the way up to the reaping. We didn't have time to meet up before we had to go to the area where it would take place. My finger got pricked then I went to the 14 year old area. I looked over and saw finnick looking at me. I gave a slight wave and he waved back. Moments later the district 4 escort arrived on stage and began talking.

I ignored the first few minutes of her speech along with the capital video. I looked over a finnick and saw his sad eyes looking back at me. I hated seeing him sad. I had the urge to walk over and kiss him to comfort him but I new I couldn't do that. Finnick had given me time to think about us and I could tell he was losing hope as the minutes ticked by. Finnick and I were staring at each other now. I pointed at myself then drew a heart in the air then pointed at him as I mouthed the words. He smiled then looked away because the escort had begun to fish around in the female reaping bowl.

Our escort was a rambler so it took about five minutes before she finally drew the girls name. It was someone I didn't recognize and I was thankful I didn't get called. My name was in the reaping a few times so I had a higher chance of being reaped. The escort moved on to the boys and drew out a folded card.

"Finnick odair!" She called out.

Finnick jogged up to the stage plastering a fake smile on his face that I saw right through. He was looking right at me and I was looking right at him. Finnick and the girl were pushed of stage and taken to the justice building where friends and family could say goodbye. I pushed through the crowd of boys and girls and arrived at the building to say goodbye.

A few minutes later I was lead into the room finnick was in and the peacekeeper behind me closed the door. I began to tear up as I pulled finnick into a tight hug.

"You need to find a trident out there. No one will stand a chance if you have one." I said trying to hold myself together.

"You can cry." Was all finnick said to me as he cupped my face in his hands. I put my hands over his and smiled as a tear rolled down my face. Finnick wiped it away with his thumb and took a step closer to me.

"I'm ready for us." I said simply. I really didn't want to let finnick go but it was out of my control.

"Let's wait till after the games. It will give me something to fight for." He suggested.

"What if you don't make it?" I asked him in a pleading tone.

"I don't know either. I'd feel better knowing I died as your friend than your lover. It would be to painful." He said.

"Your gonna make it through this. Your handsome and smart. You'll get plenty of sponsors." I reassured him.

"You think I'm handsome?" He asked cocking his head.

"I think your gorgeous, pretty boy." I replied stroking the back of his neck. Finnick pressed his lips to mine and we stayed like that for a few moments. Once we pulled away I gave finnick one last hug.

"Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor." I said in my best capital accent. Finnick laughed at my actions which was the goal. Two peace keepers came in and I left the room. For all I knew that was the last time I would see my best friend. I wanted to make our last time seeing each other end on a silly note just like the time I first met him.

-------------------------

Finnick had been in the arena for about a week now. I had skipped school these last few weeks. I had been pardoned from my absences because I was "dealing with trauma". I would watch the games like a hawk getting excited every time the screen came on to finnick. He would mumble to himself sometimes. Something about me usually. He was doing well for himself. He hadn't allied anyone and was killing tributes left and right since he got his trident.

Finnick was in the final three when a random canon went off. He was being chased by another tribute but neither of them fell. This meant the other tribute must have accidentally killed themselves. The other guy didn't stand a chance against finnick but he didn't know that. The guy chasing finnick was throwing everything he could get his hands on at finnick but he had terrible aim when he ran.

I was watching the games from my house but as soon as finnick killed the last tribute I bolted out of the house and ran to his house. Finnick's house didn't have a television so unless his family wasn't home they wouldn't know. I barged through the door and found the odair's gathered in their living room.

"Finnick won!" I shouted. My breath was heavy from the running but I got a glass of water and sat down.

His family was supprised at my sudden arrival and even more suprised at the news I brought. I was enveloped in a big hug from his family. we sat around till a peacekeeper came to the house and made an announcement.

"Finnick odair will be returning in three days at precisely 10 o'clock in the morning." The peacekeeper said. I don't know why the peacekeeper felt it necessary to make this announcement but I appreciated it.

The peacekeeper left the house. I went back to my own house and changed into my swim suit. I walked along the beach letting my feet walk through the waves as they came and went. I was walking back and forth in and out of the waves for a few hours when I was joined by someone.

"How are you feeling?" My father asked.

"Good." I replied simply.

"I found a job with the fishermen at the dock. It's too bad I can't make weapons for the academy anymore. Those capital grade weapons are no good." My father said.

I smiled as I continued to walk back and forth. My father had finally got a job after having to live of off tesearae. My name had tripled in the reaping bowl since my father lost his job nearly a year ago. I still used my father's weapons at the academy. Finnick did as well. We both agreed they had the quality of something that was made with care and personality. My father had made finnick a custom trident and he had engraved finnick's name on the handle. Finnick refused to use it for fishing. He was scared of damaging the beautiful gift. I also had a custom trident though I used mine for fishing so it was worse for wear. My father had engraved both mine and finnick's name in my trident because we both used just the one trident for the both of us when we went diving.

I walked back to my house followed by my father but I didn't stay. Instead I picked the weathered trident up from the floor of my messy bedroom and went back outside. I waded out till I was neck deep then began swimming out to where the fish were.

Once I speared a fish with my trident I picked it off the end and stuck it to the other end of my trident. I could hold my breath for about five minutes underwater so if I was careful I could get a few fish in each go. Once my trident was reduced to a dead fish skewer, I swam back to shore and carried the skewer of fish back to my house. I cleaned my catch and divided it for finnick's family then wrapped the fish up and took the bundle to the odair's.

I helped them prepare the fish for a meal then went home and cooked a few fish for my father and I. After we ate I went to clean my trident. I rinsed my hair off from the salt water then rinsed the trident from the fish blood. My finger brushed over finnick's name and I smiled. Finnick was coming home soon.

I hung my trident up on my wall then dressed out of my now dry swim suit. I hung that up also then used the remaining water in my wash tub to rinse any sand or crystalized salt off my body. Once I dried myself I put some lotion on my body to help with the dehydration the salt contributed to my skin. After that I put on some clothes and went to bed.