not enough time

Finnick had just left for the victory tour. I went back to living at my own house for the few weeks he would be Touring. I had developed an odd sleeping pattern from always being awoken by finnick. It was either that or I just didn't sleep anymore. I missed finnick and was worried about him. He wouldn't let anyone except for me comfort him after a nightmare so I wondered if he was even sleeping at all. I wasn't able to sleep after thinking those thoughts so I often spent my nights on the beach.

Once finnick returned from the tour he wouldn't leave my side. I could feel the tension in him and I insisted he tell me what happened on the victory tour.

"Finn you need to tell someone. If you don't want to tell me tell mags." I pleaded as we walked through town.

"Not here and mags already knows." He replied keeping his head down.

I took his hand and dragged him all the way to my house which was a few minutes away from where we were.

"Now we're alone. spit it out." I said sternly to him.

"It's hard to say. I didn't agree to this untill he threatened your life." Finnick mumbled but I caught every word.

"Finn I need more context then that." I reminded him.

"Snow threatened to kill you if I didn't agree to work for the capital once im old enough!" He shouted.

"What do you mean work for the capital?" I asked beginning to shout myself.

"To put it lightly I'm getting paid for my pleasure." He said getting quiet again and falling into a chair.

"Oh." Was all I could say after hearing what finnick said.

"Finnick my life isn't worth this horrific job." I said taking his hand in mine and sitting beside him.

"No. Your life is worth it. I'd rather do this job than let president snow kill you." Finnick said looking into my eyes. "It also means we have to stop, you know, kissing each other in public." He said with a smile creaping on his face.

"What a bummer, guess I'll just have to kiss you now." I said sarcastically as I pecked him on the lips.

"You don't like it when I kiss you in front of a bunch of old people?" He asked playfully.

"It's embarrassing, and it doesn't help that I am despised over the entire female population of district 4." I said throwing my hands in the air.

"My mom doesn't hate you and neither does mags." He offered.

"Yea that's not even one percent of all the women. Nice try though." I replied patting him on the shoulder than getting up and going to my room. I returned with my swim suit on and threw a pair of swimming trunks at finnick.

"Go change were going for a swim to clear our heads." I said. Finnick did as I said and we went to the fishing dock noticing a few men struggling with full crates. We helped them unload the crates from the dock. We noticed a few peacekeepers watching us closely. There must have been a deeper meaning to this deal snow forced finnick into because every time I came close to finnick a peacekeeper would tense up.

"Their watching us." I said to finnick.

"I know. Let's see if the can get us underwater." Finnick said and swept me off my feet and jumped off the dock. I noticed the peacekeepers rushing to the end of the dock.

What they didn't know is we had amazing lung capacity and would be under water for a while. Once we floated up to take a breath I was pulled out of the water by a peacekeeper on a boat. He set me in the boat and began driving it back to the dock but the sound of me diving out of the boat was drowned out by the sound of the engine. I floated all the way to the bottom of the ocean floor which it that spot was about 20 feet of clear water and stayed there for a few minutes. Finnick swam to me an began dragging me up. He used sign language to tell me the peacekeepers are furious and I need to go up. We had learned to use sign language under water since we couldn't speak. That was one way we had completely private conversations. I signed back asking why they were mad and he replied by signing 'snow came for a little chat.' I swam as fast as I could upwards and swam to the dock. I climbed out of the water and was imedeately kicked to my knees. A few peacekeepers dragged me to my house. I managed to get back on my feet so it was more like they were pushing me there instead of carrying me.