adjusting to the circumstances

Later today I had to go into a studio to reference photos. Nothing about the flashing cameras or the bright lights really bothered me. I was in my own little world thinking about my two favorite things. Finnick and the ocean. I would hopefully be returning home to district 4 soon but I hadn't been given a date yet.

Finnick would have been at the shoot with me if snow hadn't sent him out to do "work". As much as I hated the soul sucking white walls of the capitol I didn't really mind getting photographed.

The shoot rapped up a little while later and I was escorted out of the studio. I was put in a car and taken to an unfamiliar building.

"You have a home in the capitol now for when your working." A peacekeeper said as they handed me a key with a number on it.

I made my way up the elevator to the top floor where I found a spacious apartment much like the one in the tribute tower. I looked around the apartment in aw as the lights came on.

On the kitchen counter was a slick white envelope with a white rose seal on the fold. I tore the wax seal off and opened the envelope to find a stack of fresh money and a note.

This is just a taste of what you
Will make working for the Capitol.
-Snow

I threw the money on the ground. I wanted nothing to do with the capitols filthy money and their cruel ways of getting what they want. What I wanted was to go home but I was Shure I wouldn't be returning any time soon.

I ran to my room and fell on the bed. I so desperately wanted the farmiliar stinging tears to start running down my face but they never came. I eventually dosed off and laid there for a few hours until I heard a door open from far away.

I left the dark bedroom and into the moonlit kitchen and living room. I found a knife hanging on the wall and I took it, holding it in a threatening position.

"Y/n put the knife down it's Johanna." The person said.

I didn't lower the knife. Instead, I flicked the lights on and pointed the knife at her. I backed away slowly as I looked at her, making sure she wouldn't hurt me.

"I'm not going to hurt you. Put your knife down." She repeated.

"Why are you in my apartment?" I asked as I lowered the blade but didn't let go of it.

"Finnick asked me to check on you since he's, you know, working." Johanna said as she pried the knife out of my hand and replaced it on the wall.

"Why so late?" I asked as I opened the fridge looking for something to eat.

"It's only 9. Finnick said he would be back by ten but he may be back later. He wanted me to make sure you were okay." Johanna said as she brought a bag in the apartment.

"What's in the bag?" I asked suspiciously.

"I brought dinner and a change of clothes since I'll be staying the night." Johanna answered.

"Who decided we were gonna have a sleepover?" I asked continuing to interrogate her.

"Finnick asked me to stay over until we all went back to our districts now stop asking questions." Johanna answered for the last time.

I left the kitchen and went back to my bedroom. I stayed in my room for a while until i heard the door open again. I timidly walked out of the room and saw finnick setting his bag down. He looked up and saw me. His face melted from stressed to excited in less than a second as I felt him crash into my body spinning me around in a hug.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly as he put me down.

"Long day." He answered breathlessly as he smiled looking down at me. I smiled back and rested my hand on his cheek, rubbing it sweetly.

"Go shower. You'll feel better." I told him as he rested his hand over mine.

"Okay." He said nodding as he pulled my hand off his cheek and kissed it.

Finnick went into my room to shower and i sat beside Johanna on the couch. She handed me some of the food she had brought and I happily dug in as we watched the TV.

It was playing a press conference of the president until Johanna switched the channel and my Photoshoot came on. I had no Idea they had broadcasted the photoshoot while it was happening.

"Our new capitol favorite has been getting busy with her new job right here in the capitol! Don't forget to book modeling appointments now before there sold out!" An announcer said over the video clip.

I picked up I pillow from off the couch and launched it at the TV nocking it off the stand. It didn't break but I wish it did because I could still hear them talking about me on the TV like I was a doll to be played with and sold. It was sickening.

Johanna put the TV back up and pulled me back onto the couch. Seconds later Finnick rushed out wrapped in a towel with concern written on his face.

"She threw a pillow at the TV but everything else is good now go back to the shower." Johanna said bluntly as she turned to face him.

Finnick nodded and went back. Johanna handed me my food and I continued scarfing it down. Once I was done I walked to a panel on the wall and turned the temperature down.

"Chill out with the thermostat your gonna freeze us." Johanna complained as she followed me.

"I am 'chilling out'." I replied with a serious frown on my face.

"You know that's not what I ment. Turn the temperature back up." She complained again. When I didn't comply, she moved to do it herself. I slapped her hand away violently and grabbed her wrist.

"Look you may want to forget all about your games but i can't. I can't forget it and it's hot in here. I couldn't control how freezing it was in that arena but I can in here and if I want it cold let it be cold, because this is my apartment." I said in a terrifyingly low voice matching my fury.

She nodded and backed away rubbing her wrist. I walked past her and over to the couch. Johanna joined me on the couch wrapped in a blanket. Finnick came out a minute later and was also bundled up. He sat next to me and pulled me into his arms. I fell asleep quickly after that.

I sat up and realized I wasn't in the capitol anymore. I felt arms wrapped around me but they weren't finnicks. It was Avon. I stood quickly and looked back at him. At first he looked normal. As my vision cleared I noticed his sunkin cheeks and eye sockets. They were a purple color and his hands were covered in blood. There was blood in his mouth dripping down his chin. I felt his cheek and it was stone cold. No. Ice cold.

I awoke and began screaming for avon. I felt arms come around my waist and try to pull me down but I fought back. I was shouting at the person holding me back to let me go until a felt someone slap me across the face. I stumbled over and fell over the coffee table.

I snapped out of it and looked up to see finnick and Johanna looming over me.

"I think you need more sleep." Finnick suggested as he helped me up.

"No sleep doesn't help. I need fresh air." I said as I began breathing heavily. Despite the chilling temperatures inside my apartment I was sweating.

I went to my window and opened it to a balcony and stepped outside. I took in a breath of the fresh air and sighed. It wasn't like the nightmares would go away after a few nights. They were going to happen every night until I could find something more traumatic to think about. Or something unfamiliar. I sat on the cold floor of the balcony and closed my eyes. I listened to the wind blowing my hair around.

Finnick and Johanna let me have my moment on the balcony alone. Sometimes solitude is the best medicine.