8

Johnny and Yosaku had grown restless during their stay, and came down to the restaurant to ask why they were staying so long. Luffy told them to relax and wait a bit longer. They conceded and sat down at a nearby table, getting out their bounty posters and discussing bounty heads that were within their reach to pass the time. Luffy watched as Nami caught sight of one of the posters. Arlong's. Her entire body tensed up, and her breathing became heavier. Luffy looked away as she scanned the area, pretending to do his own thing. When she came to the conclusion that no one was watching, she quietly made her way out of the restaurant and headed towards the Going Merry. Luffy followed after her silently. Only Zoro noticed them leave, but he stayed seated.

When the restaurant doors closed, Nami took one last look behind her to make sure no one was following. Satisfied, she climbed on board the Going Merry...and froze. Luffy was on deck, looking at her with an unreadable expression. When had he...? Nami gritted her teeth and looked down, wondering if she should try to explain her actions. Somehow, she really didn't want to lie to him.

Luffy saw her discomfort. "It's OK," he said quietly. Nami looked back up at him in surprise.

"What are you—"

"Who is it?" he interrupted. She stared at him, not quite comprehending the question. "The one who's hurt you," he elaborated. She stiffened, her posture becoming guarded. This seemed to sadden him. Not a single thing she was doing escaped his notice. His eyes seemed to bore into her, as if he could see right into hers, piercing through any barriers she put up around herself. At that moment, she was an open book under the scrutiny of a scholar. He had seen right through her from the beginning. She hated it.

As if sensing her discomfort again, he closed his eyes and sighed. "Luffy...I..." she started but stopped. What could she say? That she couldn't be their crewmate anymore? That she was abandoning them here? Her heart ached at the thought of losing this sense of belonging that she hadn't felt since the day her mother had died.

"We can help you," he said, breaking her out of her thoughts. "If you'll just let us." Nami's eyes widened at this, and she shook her head frantically.

"I can't..." she said, her voice breaking. "I can't get you involved." Luffy looked disappointed at this, but walked up to her slowly. Nami closed her eyes. What did she expect? That he'd just let her steal the ship that they had acquired because she was involved in something she couldn't get out of? Sympathy only extended so far.

The last thing she expected was for his arms to wrap around her as he pulled her into a tight hug. She opened her eyes in shock. "It's OK," he said again. "You're free to go where you wish. I can't stop you from leaving, just like you can't stop us from following you." He pulled away. "And we will follow you," he stated firmly. He started walking away. "If you're going to leave, I'd do it now. It's going to get crowded out here soon." He turned back to look at her. "And Nami, if even for a second you think that this guy is going to hurt you again, just say the word, and I'll introduce him to a new world of pain." With that point made, he jumped off the side of the ship.

Luffy was pulled back to the present by fearful screams. He looked around. The customers were backing up in terror as Don Krieg made way through the entrance, being supported by Gin. They were taken aback by the state he was in; he looked as if he was about to keel over, but they were fearful nonetheless. The only ones who weren't visibly cowering were Sanji, Zeff, and the Straw Hats, although Usopp looked pretty shaken.

"Please..." Krieg began, "Could I have some food and water? If you want money...I've got plenty." He spoke humbly, panting in-between words, and had a miserable look on his face. People were starting to realize that this man wasn't a threat, and some were whispering to each other in doubt that this was really Don Krieg. Suddenly, the man toppled over, hitting the floor face first. Gin panicked.