55

It was a few hours after the Straw Hats came to grips with their captain and first mate's secret that another visitation of the Marine variety came to their temporary lodgings.

Two young men stood at the door when Luffy answered it. One wore a standard Marine uniform from the neck down, but the absence of a hat along with his pink hair, yellow bandana worn as a headband, and the blue-framed glasses on top of the headband instantly made it clear that he wasn't an ordinary grunt. Alongside him was another man with long blonde hair, a black visor, a green vest over a white Marine shirt, and purple pants.

Most of the crew looked at them quizzically, but Luffy smiled. "It's been a long time, Coby."

The pink-haired Marine started. "You recognize me, Luffy-san?" he asked in surprise.

"Well, how many other pink-haired Marines are there?" Luffy grinned.

Coby chuckled. "Fair point."

"Coby... wait, the kid who was traveling with you when you beat the Alvida Pirates?" Nami asked incredulously. "I remember he wanted to be a Marine, but what's he doing here?"

The other man let out a sigh. "I suppose it's true we've changed quite a bit," he said with a helpless shrug. Don't let my new look fool you, Roronoa. I'm still the same even if I've gotten a lot stronger—"

"Who are you again?" Zoro interrupted.

"Hey! That's cold, Roronoa," the man said, pushing up his visor with a smirk. "Helmeppo. Morgan's son. I was the one who condemned you to death row, and then you broke free and beat me within an inch of my life."

"Oh right, you're that idiot," Zoro grimaced.

"B-But things have changed since then!" Coby spoke up hastily.

"Indeed," Helmeppo said smugly. "I've made quite the turnaround, if I do say so myself."

Zoro hummed. "Well, I guess you're really not as stupid as you look," he commented, causing Helmeppo to beam with pride even as Luffy burst out laughing for some unknown reason.

"At first, I was upset being press-ganged into the Marines as a chore boy, but when Garp showed up to take Daddy away for court-martialing, and he used me as a hostage to get away, suffice to say that I had things put in perspective for me. Especially since Coby risked his life to try saving me. To make a long story short, Garp was impressed and took the two of us on as apprentices."

Luffy winced. "Sorry about that."

The crew sans Zoro was incredulous, but both of the Marines chuckled ruefully.

"Yeah, I've got a good idea about just how you became such a monster now, Luffy," Coby said, rubbing the back of his head. "But still, I've already become a Master Chief Petty Officer. I'm just one promotion away from becoming a Marine officer! And Helmeppo's only one rank below me."

"He's just that much more enthusiastic despite everything Vice Admiral Garp throws at us. Even if he's throwing cannonballs," Helmeppo grimaced.

Luffy grinned. "Sounds like you've been training hard then."

Coby nodded. "While we're on the subject, I wanted to ask you a favor, Luffy-san."

Luffy hummed. "Let me guess. You want to spar?"

Smiling, Coby nodded again. "If it's not too much trouble."

The Straw Hat captain smirked. "Alright. Let's see how far you've come."

As the crew gathered outside along with the two Marines, Luffy and Coby stood across from one another. Coby wasted no time and approached with a Soru, which Luffy easily sidestepped before he grabbed Coby by the arm and threw him. Coby planted his feet into the ground and skidded through the dirt before vanishing in another Soru. This time, his punch was blocked by Luffy's forearm. He swiftly twisted around and attempted to elbow the rubber man, but Luffy ducked under his arm and delivered a swift jab to his stomach that left him reeling.