17

"All right, everyone, it's time to continue our Haki training!" Luffy announced. The statement was quickly met by two groans from Nami and Usopp and a curious look from Vivi. Luffy quickly explained the concept of Haki to Vivi, telling her that their crew was training in it and that she was welcome to join. Vivi politely declined, saying that she'd just watch for now. So, for the next hour, she watched them undergo their strange training regimens, wondering how this would help them unlock such a fantastical ability. Some of their methods seemed slightly...degrading. Moreover, Vivi wondered why Luffy and Zoro weren't taking part. When she voiced this inquiry, Luffy stated that they already knew all the basics and only had to work on their mastery. Whatever that meant.

Vivi was impressed, though. They kept this up for a few hours, only taking short breaks, before Luffy called them off and said they should prepare for lunch. "Can't train on any empty stomach," he said jovially as Nami and Usopp slumped to the floor and Sanji made his way to the kitchen.

Vivi looked at Nami and Usopp in wonder. She hesitated, and then spoke up. "If you two don't mind me asking, why do you train so hard? Who do you plan on fighting?" They looked surprised by the question, but nonetheless thoughtful. Nami was tempted to say something like, 'I'd like to know myself,' and Usopp wanted to respond, 'This is nothing for the Great Captain Usopp,' but they both held their tongues and gave the question the consideration that it deserved. Finally, Nami answered.

"It's not that we plan on fighting anyone in particular. It's just that I..." she said slowly. She frowned, trying to figure out what it was that she wanted to say. Usopp finished for her.

"I think it's because Luffy always goes out of his way to protect us, and I just want to be able to return the favor. The great Captain Usopp can't just sit on the sidelines forever, you know?" Nami nodded in agreement despite the great Captain Usopp part.

"I know I'm not a monster like some other members of our crew," she said, "but that doesn't mean I can't make a difference. Since he offered us training on a silver platter, I thought, why not?" She paused. "It doesn't seem like I'm making much progress, though," she said gloomily.

Vivi was a bit impressed by their answers. She herself was a pacifist, and didn't believe fighting could solve problems, which made the infiltration of Baroque Works especially difficult for her. But hearing their words, she couldn't help but think back to what her mentor and friend had once told her. It's not about fighting, it's about protecting.

Perhaps there was more depth to these pirates' strength than she had originally thought? Perhaps they didn't gain strength for the sake of fighting, but for the sake of protecting? If so, that was an important distinction in her mind. She was honestly starting to take a liking to them.

"Oh, by the way, Nami," Usopp started excitedly. "I've been doing some experiments with a lot of potential for application in combat. In addition to my new and improved Exploding Star, I came up with a pretty good idea for a weapon. It's a bit unconventional, but that just makes it even better. I could use some suggestions for it, and I think you could probably help. What do you say?" Nami looked surprised, but nodded.

"Sure, I'll take a look after lunch. I just wish I could come up with something similar in case this Haki business doesn't work out." She had a sad look on her face.

"Hah! Don't count us out just yet, Nami. If my theories pan out, I've got just the thing for you," he said. "Soon enough we'll be monsters in our own right!" Usopp crossed his arms and closed his eyes, nodding as he envisioned it. This caused Nami to cheer up a bit.

"Lunch is served, ladies!" Sanji called from above deck. "Right this way, if you will."

Vivi quickly found out that lunch with the Straw Hats was either eaten quickly or not eaten at all. Luffy's arms blurred out of sight as he stole food from everyone's plates indiscriminately. Sanji was having limited success in stopping him, and Nami and Usopp were having none whatsoever. Vivi could see the borderline hazardous rage building up in Nami. Only Zoro seemed to be indifferent. But then again, he was the only one defending his food successfully...for the most part.