44

Happy new year everyone.

A thick fog encompassed the forest clearing, making it difficult to see much of anything in the dreary dark. To those who relied heavily on their sight to survey their surroundings, such as snipers for instance, these conditions turned even a quick trip to pee into a perilous journey fraught with danger.

At least, that's what said sniper argued when he went to wake his captain.

"You're saying I should come with you so you don't get blindsided?" Luffy clarified, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"That's right," Usopp confirmed.

"Oh, so you're scared of the dark. Ok then," Luffy deadpanned as he got up from the ground.

"Don't say it like that!" Usopp complained. "It's a precaution! Who knows what kind of scary creatures lurk in the dead of night?"

"You mean like the wolves that we shared our booze with?"

Usopp opened his mouth to argue further, but decided to quit while he was ahead and simply follow after Luffy, who had started walking passed the trees already.

"You know, it's not the animals I'd be worried about," Luffy said suddenly as they faced opposite directions and started emptying their bladders.

"What do you mean?" Usopp asked. "What else would attack us? Man eating plants?"

"Or maybe something a little less natural?" Luffy suggested with a grin. "Or as they say...supernatural."

Usopp paled. "Y-you mean like g-ghosts?"

"Or zombies."

"Zombies!?"

"Or talking skeletons."

"Don't even joke about that!" Usopp whispered loudly, looking around frantically. "I'm perfectly fine with not encountering anything of an undead nature, thank you very much!"

"Don't get your hopes up. By the way, do you hear that?"

"Hear wha-" Usopp became silent as he heard what Luffy was talking about. It was coming from the direction of the Merry, and it almost sounded like the banging of a...hammer?

Luffy's brow furrowed as he reached out with his observation haki. Immediately his eyes widened. "That can't be right..." he muttered in amazement.

"What is it? You sense something?" Usopp asked fearfully.

"It feels like...you?"

"What? But I'm right here. Are you sure that's right?"

"Not really. Because it also feels like me. Also Zoro, Nami, and Sanji. I even feel traces of Chopper and Robin."

Usopp was growing more confused by the second. "So whatever this thing is, it can mimic our auras?" Luffy was silent for a moment before speaking.

"I think we should go see what it is," he said. Usopp nodded hesitantly. If this thing was on the Merry, then they probably shouldn't just leave it be. As they drew closer to the ship, they were able to make out a figure through the fog. Usopp was growing more pale by the second, while Luffy was simply in awe. He thought he knew who this was, but he was growing more sure by the second.

"Captain," came a juvenile voice from the ship which seemed to resonate through the fog.

"G-G-Gh-Gho-" Usopp stuttered, unable to form the word.

"Merry," Luffy breathed, causing Usopp to nearly forget his fear and turn to Luffy in concern.

"Merry? What about Merr-"