46

There was a moment of calm under Giant Jack as the 16 participants stared each other down, waiting for someone to make the first move. Between the Shandians, the Priest, the Knight of the Sky, the Master of the Sky, and the God of the Sky, tensions were high.

The Blue Sea dwellers, on the other hand, had varied reactions to the new development. Zoro looked utterly bored, Sanji was needlessly assuring Nami and Robin that he'd protect them, Nami was rolling her eyes at Sanji, Usopp was holding his slingshot above his head in a sign of false bravado that belied the trembling of his legs, Chopper was asking Luffy what a battle royale was, Robin was looking utterly bored, and Luffy was explaining to Chopper what a battle royale was in a rather grandiose manner, utilizing the term "man's romance" multiple times.

"As amusing as this little byplay is," Enel continued, raising an eyebrow in amusement, "You all really should focus on the matter at hand. You see, only 5 of you can come with me to the Holy Land. The rest of you will be returned to the Blue Sea along with the rest of Skypiea. You may either decide amongst yourselves, or battle for the right. It is your decision."

The Shandians and Gan Fall were silent as they took in what Enel had just implied. Gan Fall had already had a sneaking suspicion, but this confirmed it.

"You demon," the knight growled. "You plan to destroy Skypiea, along with all of its inhabitants!?"

"That is the natural order of things, is it not?" Enel replied, sounding almost bored. "God is a destroyer. His job is to restore order. For mortals to live above the clouds, to thrive in the sky like gods...it's heresy, don't you think? It is only right that I return them to their natural environment."

Most of the Strawhats stared incredulously at the declaration. He spoke so casually about what could practically be considered genocide. Even Ohm looked surprised at this news, having heard nothing of it beforehand.

"Now," Enel continued, "which of you will come with me to Fairy Vearth, and which of you will return to the Blue Sea?" The tension skyrocketed as all parties involved gripped their weapons.

"I'll return to the Blue Sea," a voice spoke up, and everyone turned to stare at Luffy, who was cracking his knuckles. "After I kick your ass from here to Fairy Vearth, of course."

Enel looked amused. "How insolent."

"But before that, I have a question for you," Luffy continued. "Who was the other Blue Sea dweller that came here before us?"

Enel raised an eyebrow. "Why does that matter? Do you presume to know him? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You both have a tendency to provoke powers far beyond your understanding."

"You can tell me, or I can beat it out of you," Luffy said nonchalantly.

Enel stated laughing. "Oh, I'll definitely enjoy beating that out of you, mortal," he exclaimed. "But if you really must know, I am not aware of his true name. Only that, if I remember correctly, he went by the moniker of Blackbeard."

Robin's eyes widened, while Zoro's narrowed.

"So, it's true then," Luffy muttered. "But that doesn't make sense." He looked at Enel as if trying to solve some sort of puzzle. "How are you even alive right now?"

Enel looked annoyed for the first time hearing that question. "Are you implying that he was a match for me? That fool never even made it to Giant Jack. Once he took down Shura, I found that my patience was beginning to wane, and decided to intervene. I'll admit, it was impressive that he survived my El Thor that many times, but in the end, he and his pathetic crew retreated back to the Blue Sea like so many others." Enel cracked a smile. "I never had to leave God's Shrine!"