48

Halfway through the sea known to some as Paradise, there stood a Marine base on the island of Navarone. Said island was actually more of a city-sized rock formation in the middle of the ocean. In its center was a mountain, which had been modified to accommodate the marines' everyday activities, surrounded on all sides by seawater, but the body of water was isolated from the rest of the ocean by a circular wall of rock. Thanks in part to its unconventional structure, G8 was was known for being the most high security Marine facility in the entire first half of the Grand Line, if you didn't count Marineford, of course. As a stronghold, it was impregnable, and as a prison, it was inescapable.

Or so they say.

It was around midday, and a few lower-ranked officers were making their regular patrols around the base, while singing their customary song to show their pride as G8 Marines.

"I don't know, but I've been told!" one chanted.

"I don't know, but I've been told!" two others chorused.

"G8's one hell of a stronghold!"

"Pirates can attack until the sun goes down!"

"Navarone's pride will turn them right back 'round!"

"Sound off!"

"G8!"

"Sound off!"

"G8!"

"Sound off–"

"Geez mate," the last soldier grumbled tiredly. "Will you give it a rest already? That's not even a real soundoff. Stop making the newbies do ridiculous things."

"Oh, not again, man!" protested the soldier that was leading the chorus, who for sake of convenience will be called Optimistic Marine A. "You're always ruining my soundoffs! And you're giving the new guys the wrong idea! There's nothing wrong with flaunting our proud G8 pride!"

"Who are you flaunting for anyway?" asked the other, who will be referred to as Skeptical Marine B. "There's no one here but G8 Marines." Proud G8 pride? How did I get stuck on watch duty with this guy again?

"It's not that! The song is crucial for maintaining morale!" Optimistic Marine A argued.

"Morale for what? Face it, we haven't had a pirate attack in years. What pirate wants to stop in the middle of the Grand Line just to attack a Marine base that takes in injured soldiers and repairs Marine ships? I'm not saying our role isn't important, but the chances of a pirate attack are slim to none," Skeptical Marine B reasoned.

"What kind of attitude is that? You always have to be ready regardless! You never know when pirates might drop in out of the sky!" Optimistic Marine A claimed.

Skeptical Marine B sighed. "If that ever happens, let me know and I'll sing that little sound off while I charge headlong into battle."

"Hey, uh, guys?" one of the two newer Marines spoke up, getting their attention. "What's that in the sky?" The other three Marines followed his finger towards a large object that seemed to be floating down into the middle of the stronghold.

Skeptical Marine B started to sweat. "...That could be anything."

"It looks like a ship to me," the other new guy observed.