49

On the island of Jaya, a crowd had gathered around a certain bar in Mock Town to witness what was rumored to be a fight to the death between comrades.

"Please, make them stop!" one of the crew members of the two combatants shouted. Her pleas were answered by a sinister chuckle which by no means conveyed an intent to comply.

"Enough already! Why are you doing this!?" Sarkies, one of the combatants tried to reason. The taunting laughter only intensified.

"Why, you ask? What other reason could there be? Sarkies, Bellamy...you two have tarnished my flag that you so proudly flaunt around as if it were your own. Sky Island, the City of Gold...I don't care whether they exist or not. As long as you were undefeated, I would allow you to spread whatever petty ideals you deemed fit."

"It's hopeless," one of the observers whispered. "There's no way they can win. That's Donquixote Doflamingo!"

"Are you kidding? One of the Seven Warlords?" another asked quietly. "He used to have a bounty of over 300 million. What's he doing here?"

"But now that you've been put in your place by a bunch of 'hopeless dreamers' as you put it, there's really no room for you as my underlings, is there?" Doflamingo continued.

As Sarkies' blade rose against his will, he cursed. "Dammit! Don't make me do this!" His pleas once again went unanswered as his arm was forced to swing the blade towards an immobile Bellamy unmercifully.

"Please..." Bellamy rasped from his position on the ground. "Give me one more chance. Even if it takes years...I'll get to where you stand one day..."

Doflamingo laughed in amusement. "Do you really think a peon like you has what it takes to survive the New World? Very well, do as you wish. The New Era I've envisioned is approaching. However..." He turned his back and started walking away. "I have no place for you in my ranks," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Doflamingo!" Bellamy shouted in desperation as Sarkies' knife came down again.

"What's wrong? You're slowing down," Luffy noted as he smiled with his eyes closed and his hands in his pockets. Across from him stood Sanji, panting heavily but still focused. Nearby, Zoro was continuing the rest of the crew's training to awaken their haki, while Luffy was training Sanji personally at the chef's request.

Sanji dashed forward again, but his opening kick was dodged easily as Luffy simply leaned back to avoid it. The next hail of kicks were just as casually avoided as the Strawhat captain swayed back and forth in between the blows. Focusing on predicting his movements, Sanji went in for a feint, which seemed to achieve the desired effect, and the actual kick was blocked by Luffy's forearm. Before he could react, Sanji had been grabbed by the leg and thrown back to his starting position.

"Too slow," Luffy commented, earning an annoyed grunt from the chef.

"I noticed, you rubber bastard. Why don't you open your damn eyes now?"

Luffy only smirked. "Why don't you make me?"

Sanji complied, or at least attempted to, as he spun rapidly in a circle before going on the offensive again, leg ablaze this time. Every kick he threw was once again dodged effortlessly. He could try to predict Luffy's movements, but the rubber man could do the same with his counters to said movements, and it was easier to see whose observation haki was superior. Not only that, but he was suppressing his aura, so Sanji was having trouble getting a read on it to begin with. After a couple minutes, Sanji winced and the inferno around his leg ceased as his current limit for Diable Jambe was reached.

"What brought this on?" Luffy couldn't help but ask. "You seemed content with your progress just recently. Now you're working twice as hard as before. Not that I don't encourage it, but is there any reason?"