56

On Zenku, an Island in the Grand Line, on Route to Sabaody

Jewelry Bonney hummed in thought as she stared down at the newspaper in front of her. The Straw Hat Pirates had made the headlines again. Although they had previously distinguished themselves apart from, and perhaps ahead of, this generation's rookies previously, their most recent endeavors were nothing short of outrageous. Her own recently heightened bounty of ฿140 million didn't even compare. None of the other rookies did, either. Really, she should have realized this would happen when their captain had defeated her while barely lifting a finger, using powers that she was only just beginning to tap the surface of even now. But this? This was some next level shit.

The rumors circulating around Paradise had started out as just that—rumors. Despite Water 7's position among Marines and pirates alike, despite Iceburg's ultimate credibility, the World Government had been quick to dispel any of the wild rumors originating from the Water metropolis.

Or at least, they had been quick to try.

Because no one, not even the Five Elder Stars, could convince the world that the sea freezing over from Water 7 all the way to Pucci and San Faldo was a rumor. Especially not with the sea train out of commission for an estimated two weeks.

As Bonney shouted for more food, she couldn't help but grin. There was no way around it. The Straw Hat Pirates had clashed with a Marine Admiral and lived to tell the tale. Or more accurately, for everyone else to tell the tale. The higher-ups of the World Government were probably shitting themselves and eating it right about now.

She continued to grin at the imagery. Straw Hat is an annoying brat...but I can't help but admire him. He's got some serious guts. Of course, the fact that he was Ace's brother didn't help put him out of her inquisitive mind.

Speaking of Ace, she wondered how his search was going...

"Hey, bartender! Give me 50 of your best apple pies!"

Bonney ignored the obnoxiously loud pirates that had just trudged into the bar in favor of contemplating what changes this would bring to the Great Pirate Era.

"Hey, Captain," came a calm, contemplative voice. "It looks like you were right to avoid those pirates that caught your attention earlier."

"Huh? What are you talking about, Auger?" the first voice asked. In response, the sniper handed him a newspaper. As the pirate captain began to read, his face gradually started to pale, before he suddenly started laughing. "Zehahahaha! That damn brat! To think he was that strong! We're lucky we backed off from his trail."

"Luck had nothing to do with it," Van Auger replied. "Fate simply had other plans for us."

"Yeah, you're right about that. I can't say the adventure we had instead wasn't damn amazing, even if some freak lightning storm kind of ruined it in the end."

Bonney was now listening attentively. Had these guys been after the Straw Hats? They didn't look anything like bounty hunters. Perhaps they were just looking to take down a rival crew.

"Still, this ruins our plans, Captain," Jesus Burgess pointed out. "Who are we going to turn in instead?"

"Who knows. I'm sure an opportunity will present itself. I briefly considered turning in Ace, but he seems to have stopped following me..."

The glass Bonney was holding shattered in her grip.

"Oh, well. Like I said, we'll think of something. A toast to the glory of the Blackbeard Pirates! Zehahahahaha!"