41

Sabo sat across from Firefist - no, Ace, he reminded himself - in silent contemplation. He had a lot to take in. From being told stories of his past that he he himself didn't remember, to finding out he had two brothers...not by blood, but what did that matter when none of his greater connections in life were not blood related to begin with? Just the fact that he had family, whether by blood or otherwise, was more than he could have claimed waking up in the morning. At first he was hard pressed to believe everything he was being told, but it soon became evident that Ace knew too much about the circumstances of his incident. He knew he had lost his memories off the coast of Dawn Island. He knew he'd been shipwrecked by the Celestial Dragons, information which only the boss and some higher ups of the Revolutionary Army knew. But above all, Sabo knew that the look of shock, nostalgia, and happiness that finally settled onto Ace's face upon seeing his own had not been faked.

Not a day normally went by when Sabo didn't think about his life before that incident. Now, he had some idea of what it had been like. He had been conceived by nobles - oh, the irony - but had grown to despise the suffocating lifestyle. He had met Ace in the Grey Terminal, and they had dreamed of becoming pirates together. Later on they had met a boy named Luffy, and eventually the three of them would become brothers through spilling blood sweat and tears together. They had even exchanged cups of sake. Even though he couldn't remember it, these thoughts brought a warm feeling to his stomach that he couldn't quite explain. It was as if his unconscious mind remembered...which, come to think of it, it probably did. He was no expert on amnesia though.

Ace was giving him space, which he was grateful for, but he could tell that the only thing the guy wanted to do at this moment was envelop him in a bone crushing hug. From what he'd been told, he couldn't really blame him. If he had lived for 10 years thinking his brother was dead only to later find out that he was alive, he would be feeling sentimental too. But for the life of him, he just couldn't remember. No matter how much his thoughts would attempt to penetrate though the sea of blackness that haunted his dreams, he could not recall anything prior to the suffocating murky depths.

He was starting to think that an inability to breath, whether literal or metaphorical, had been a defining trait of his previous life.

"Ace?" he spoke up. The flameman's head perked up at the sound of his voice breaking the silence. "I'm glad I met you," Sabo said. "But I need time to adjust. And I don't think I can be a pirate...not now."

Ace flashed him a grin. "Whatever you decide is fine with me, Sabo. I'm just glad to have you back, even if you can't remember it all. Take all the time you need."

Sabo grinned back. "Actually, there is one thing I'd like to ask."

"Anything," Ace replied.

"Do you think I could meet Luffy?"

"What the hell is wrong with this bird?" Nami screeched in frustration as she ran from the forest's abnormal wildlife. The hunt for the southbird was going smoothly...at least that's what Luffy would say. Said rubber man was currently using his haki to tame any animal that he found interesting while he left the rest of the crew to their own devices. If Nami wasn't so busy running away from giant centipedes, she'd be giving him a piece of her mind right about now. What was so funny anyway? Wasn't it enough that she had a goddamn bird laughing at her? Why did Luffy have to join in?

Robin was faring better, watching in amusement as everything unfolded from atop a high branch of a tree she had cleverly scaled with her powers. Of course, if it looked like anyone was going to get hurt, she was ready to intervene, but somehow, she didn't feel the need at the moment. It was just so funny.