⚡️ Chapter 5 ⚡️

There was once again a loud crack and Vega felt the familiar pressure on her body for the third time that night. Darkness flooded her vision, and then, in a split second, all of it was gone and her vision restored itself – and Vega found herself to be standing in a country lane, still beside Harry and Dumbledore, the night sky inky above them.

Looking right ahead, Vega immediately noted the crooked silhouette of the Burrow, and she couldn't help but smile slightly. She had missed this place a lot – and even though she wouldn't be seeing Fred here, she still had all of her friends around.

Ah, I already miss Freddie.

It was true that letters really weren't enough for Vega anymore – she wanted to go to him, to talk to him, joke around with him and to just sleep next to him. She let out a breath and hoped that Fred would get the chance to come around sometime soon.

"If you don't mind, Harry and Vega," Dumbledore said, as they passed through the gate. "I'd like a few words with you before we part – in private. Perhaps in here?"

Dumbledore pointed toward a run-down stone outhouse where the Weasleys usually kept all their broomsticks and Quidditch supplies. Vega didn't object to it and followed after him silently, passing through the creaking door into a space a little smaller than the average cupboard. Harry trailed behind the two, looking freely puzzled.

Once inside the hut, Dumbledore illuminated the tip of his wand, so that it glowed like a torch, and smiled down at both Vega and Harry.

"I hope you will forgive me for mentioning it, but I am pleased and a little proud at how well you two seem to be coping after everything that happened at the Ministry," Dumbledore told them. "Permit me to say that I think Sirius would have been proud of you,"

Vega was quiet, unsure what to say as she felt guilty that she wasn't still so upset, that she was trying to put that night in the very back of her head.

And it also didn't help that she had to hear names of individuals that she had otherwise been avoiding – hearing Harry's uncle Vernon say 'His godfather's dead?' so bluntly and then the casual conversation of Slughorn that brought up Sirius so many times. Lastly, to see Kreacher and hear about his undying loyalty to her cruel mother.

"It was cruel," Dumbledore said softly, looking toward Harry when he showed emotions first, swallowing hard. "That you and Sirius had such a short time together. A brutal ending to what should have been a long and happy relationship,"

Harry nodded; his eyes fixed resolutely on the spider now climbing Dumbledore's hat. Vega glanced toward her friend, and she hoped that from now, he wouldn't be on his own – she felt like he would always do something reckless when alone with his thoughts.

"It's just hard," Harry said finally, in a low voice. "To realise he won't write to me again," Vega looked away to give him some space as his eyes teared up.

"Sirius represented much to you that you had never known before," Dumbledore said gently. "Naturally, the loss is devastating..."

"But while I was at the Dursleys'..." Harry interrupted, his voice growing stronger. "I realised I can't shut myself away or – or crack up. Sirius wouldn't have wanted that, would he? And anyway, life's too short... look at Madam Bones, look at Emmeline Vance..." His voice was now fierce. "It could be me next, couldn't it? But if it is. I'll make sure I take as many Death Eaters with me as I can, and Voldemort too if I can manage it,"

"Spoken both like your mother and father's son and Sirius's true godson!" Dumbledore said, with an approving pat on Harry's back. "I take my hat off to you – or I would, if I were not afraid of showering you in spiders,"