⚡️ Chapter 12 ⚡️

While both Vega and Neville agreed with Harry just to appease him and got under the Invisibility Cloak – this idea, however, came to nothing: the corridors, which were packed with people on the lookout for the lunch trolley, were impossible to negotiate while wearing the cloak. Vega finally told Harry to let it go and he stowed it regretfully back in his bag.

And although Vega had herself initially disliked this idea, she admitted that it would have been nice to wear it just to avoid all the staring, which seemed to have increased in intensity even since they had last walked down the train to find a compartment.

Every now and then, students would hurtle out of their compartments to get a better look at Vega and Harry. The only exception among them was Cho Chang, who darted into her compartment when she saw the black-haired boy coming.

As the Gryffindor trio passed the window, Vega saw Cho deep in determined conversation with her friend Marietta, who was wearing a very thick layer of makeup that did not entirely obscure the odd formation of pimples still etched across her face.

"I suppose I should do something about that," Vega mumbled, her mind trailing off to think about different mixtures to help Marietta's pimples. "But I need to... ask Hermione about the spell she had used to put that Jinx on the paper, huh?"

When they reached compartment C, they saw at once that they were not Slughorn's only invitees, although judging by the enthusiasm of Slughorn's eager welcome, Vega and Harry were certainly the most warmly anticipated.

"Harry, and Vega!"

Slughorn jumped up at the sight of them so that his great velvet-covered belly seemed to fill all the remaining space in the compartment. His shiny bald head and great silvery moustache gleamed as brightly in the sunlight as the golden buttons on his waistcoat.

"Good to see you, good to see you!" Slughorn exclaimed. "And you must be Mr. Longbottom!"

Neville nodded, looking scared as he slid to hide behind Vega and she didn't quite blame him for this reaction – Slughorn could appear a bit too eccentric.

At a gesture from Slughorn, they sat down opposite each other in the only three empty seats, which were nearest the door. Harry took the seat next to Ginny, who was looking as though she was not entirely sure how she had gotten there, while Neville took the seat right across from Harry, leaving an open seat between him and Blaise Zabini.

Vega did not say anything as she sat down, her expression flat and refusing to look in Zabini's direction. She, however, was even more upset to catch sight of none other than Cormac McLaggen sitting in the corner to Zabini.

So, that's where the scent of
toxic masculinity was emitting from.

There was one other person in the compartment, who appeared to be another Seventh-Year that Vega did not know by name. He covered the fourth seat next to Harry, Ginny and Slughorn. Vega met eyes with Ginny across from her and sighed.

"Now, do you know everyone?" Slughorn asked Vega, Harry and Neville. "Blaise Zabini is in your year, of course –"

Zabini did not make any sign of recognition or greeting, nor did Vega, Harry or Neville: Gryffindor and Slytherin students loathed each other on principle.

"This is Cormac McLaggen, perhaps you've come across each other –?" Slughorn asked but none of them reacted. "No? Cormac mentioned that you, Vega –"

"We have seen each other once or twice in the common room," Vega interjected smoothly, ignoring the smirk Cormac directed to her. "I wouldn't call us anything more than just housemates,"