⚡️ Chapter 19 ⚡️

There was a spot of silence in the Headmaster's office as Vega processed everything that they had discussed and everything Dumbledore had told them – everything that they had seen. Vega was felt dirty thinking that she related to such strange people, as if it could be any worse than being related to Bellatrix Lestrange and Voldemort.

Vega looked away from the desk in front of her and to the window outside to avoid catching any pair of eyes in the room – the sky outside was inky black and the lamps in Dumbledore's office seemed to glow more brightly than before.

"I think that will do for tonight, Vega and Harry," Dumbledore said after a moment or two, and Vega looked back over and nodded quietly, getting tot her feet.

"Yes, sir," Harry said as he, himself, got to his feet after Vega, but did not leave. "Sir... is it important to know all this about Voldemort's past?"

"Very important, I think," Dumbledore replied.

"And it... it's got something to do with the prophecy?" Harry asked.

"It has everything to do with the prophecy," Dumbledore confirmed.

"Right," Harry said, a little confused, but reassured all the same. He turned to go and almost ran into Vega when she stopped to look at Dumbledore.

"Um, Professor," Vega spoke. "Are we... allowed to tell Ron and Hermione about everything that we have just discussed in this office tonight?"

Dumbledore considered him for a moment, then said, "Yes, I think Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger have proved themselves trustworthy. But Vega, I am going to ask you both to ask them not to repeat any of this to anybody else. It would not be a good idea if word got around how much I know, or suspect, about Lord Voldemort's secrets,"

"Yes, of course, Professor," Vega replied, not very keen to expose such relations to her friends. "I will make sure... that this remains between us, and Ron and Hermione – thank you, and uh, good night,"

Vega and Harry both moved to leave the room together when something caught their attention – sitting on one of the little spindle-legged tables that supported so many frail-looking silver instruments, was an ugly gold ring set with a large, cracked, black stone.

"Sir," Harry spoke up. "That ring –"

"Yes?" Dumbledore asked.

"You were wearing it when we visited Professor Slughorn that night," Harry said, sharing a look with Vega, who looked just as bothered by it.

"So I was," Dumbledore agreed.

"But isn't it... sir, isn't it the same ring Marvolo Gaunt showed Ogden?" Harry asked, and Dumbledore bowed his head while Vega's eyes narrowed at it.

"The very same," Dumbledore replied.

"How come did you get it, Professor?" Vega asked. "If this is something that Marvolo Gaunt... prided himself over as being the descendant of Slytherin, wouldn't Voldemort want it? Have you always had it?"

"No, I acquired it very recently," Dumbledore answered and Vega looked at him in surprise. "A few days before I came to fetch the pair of you from your homes, in fact,"

"That would be around the time you injured your hand, then, sir?" Harry asked.

"Around that time, yes, Harry," Dumbledore responded.

Harry hesitated. Dumbledore was smiling, and so, Harry pressed further, "Sir, how exactly –?"

"Too late, Harry!" Dumbledore replied. "You shall hear the story another time – good night,"