Chapter One: I never fail

A few hours ago:

"An eye for an eye. That's how the game works." She laughs playfully; her laugh is also evil. "You better run, you petty little coward. I'm pretty quick." The woman runs as fast as she can, trips over her own feet.

"Please take everything I have! But don't kill me!" the woman pleads.

Lexi smiles evilly. "I'm not going to kill you just yet, darling. You're too pretty." She caresses her cheek then starts repeatedly punching her until she's unconscious. Lexi drags her body to the car then when she arrives she locks the woman up in her hidden hideout.

Sometime later:

Lexi goes out on the back porch, the snow just has begun and her vampire father Ben us sleeping. She lights a cigarette she exhales and blows out smoke. Zufall's playing in the snow with a sweater on.

She goes to her hidden hideout, lays next to her hostage and sighs. "Look at you cramped in this lonely and cold basement." She chuckles. "Oh, I forgot your pillow. Let me get you one." She goes to get a pillow and fluffs it and chuckles again. "You're an idiot if you actually think I just would give you a pillow. You have to beg me for it, I know that ground is hard, I know it is."

She lays next to them for a little while and finally says, "Y'know people usually don't stick around, but I have let you stay 'cause I like you. I really do," "I almost feel bad for holding you hostage and beating the shit out of you. At least I have made up for it by keeping you alive." She stares at them, starts to get bored. "I will let you on one of my secrets. I'm a serial killer, I already know, I'm kinda a celebrity."

The fantasy clouds Lexi's mind and the boredom of talking is feeding the fantasy. "Talking to you isn't...going anywhere. I just want to make you pass out...on the verge of dying, but we're not there there yet. What if I just knock you out?"

Finally, the hostage lets muffled screams after Lexi gets a baseball bat. A loud smack hit by the baseball bat and Lexi start smiling. She cleans up the blood from the ground, the bat and her hands in the sink then cleans the hostage's wounds and heats up some Spaghetti O's for them in the microwave. "I'm hope you're hungry later," she says to the unconscious body.

Lexi realizes her phone is binging she answers the call. "Hey."

"Hey Cuz! I'm coming to Virginia soon! We want to see ya!" Kylie greets.

"That's great! When?" Lexi replies, spacing out on her dad's car coming down the driveway.

"Around winter break. For our big family Christmas reunion, remember?"

Lexi snaps out of her trance and says, "Yeah...sorry. Listen, I'll call ya later. My pops just got home."

"Okay, see ya!"

"See ya!" Lexi hangs up. She puts out her cigarette and hides her pack.

Shit. Shit. Shit. She says to herself as she calls Zufall to go back outside. Lexi comes back inside and walks beside her father's guards. Alex sits down in his throne, taking off his prosthetics and Lexi leans on him. "Yo pops. Am I bothering you?" she greets.

"Never, why?" Alex replies.

"I thought you had private affairs to attend until another week."

Alex sighs. "I did say that, didn't I?" He ruffles her hair giving her a smile. "I wanted to surprise my little girl, but you ruined it."

"Ughh...please calling me that. I'm not a little girl anymore."

"You'll always be my little girl," Alex teases with a little smile.

Lexi groans.

Ben comes downstairs for dinner and for the rest of the evening.

(Zay's POV:)

It's 4 AM, and Zay can't sleep again. She stares at the bright neon lights, her keehound, Ghost is howling. Zay goes downstairs to check on him. "Ghost, what's wrong? she whispers.

He turns and looks at her with his wagging curled tail and the cutest confused look.

Zay laughs. "Pfft!" "You may be a dumb dog, but you're my dumb dog."

She strokes his smoky black, gray, cream fur. Ghost whines and hops on the couch, waiting for her to sit beside him. "Hey, don't look at me like that. I meant that as a compliment," she jokes.

She strokes him again, assuring that she doesn't mean it literally and she still loves him and turns on the TV then changes the output so they could watch their favorite movie together. Zay's parents don't like the movie much, but when the couple kiss Zay's heart flutters and she starts to sweat.

She almost wishes that it can be her, but every time she fails. Zay sighs sadly as she rests her head on her knee, watching the movie, knowing, his owner is usually happy watching it, Ghost notices Zay's sadness and nuzzles her. She sits up and smiles sadly at him, petting him.

"Do you ever get a feeling that you're never good enough for anyone?" Ghost lays his head on her lap. "You are a good dog, Ghost. You know that, right ?"

The sun starts to rise at 4:25. Zay tries to not groan loudly in agony, turns off the movie and falls asleep on the couch. Zay's parents' alarm goes off. "Zay, wake up! You'll be late again." her mom yells.

Zay gets up, gets dressed, brushes his teeth, feeds Ghost his breakfast, then waits for the bus.

The next day:

(Back to Lexi's POV:)

Lexi walks downstairs hearing "Just last night, the Satanic Killer struck again. Another brutal homicide case." She hears the news anchor say. Alex turns off the tv. "I'm tired of this shit. Never in my life, I have seen this many murders," he remarks. "Satanic? I bet it's a wannabe mediocre demon."

Lexi scoffs. Mediocre? I'll show you, pops who's the mediocre one. She murmurs quietly to herself as she gets herself some orange juice. "Morning!" Alex greets her warmly, petting Zufall as he's wagging his tail.

Lexi snaps out of another of one of her trances, her ears stop ringing and the words of the news anchor stop repeating in Lexi's head. "Morning..."

When drinking her orange juice Lexi sees police sirens and starts freaking out. "Lexi! What's wrong, babe?" Alex asks in a worried voice. Zufall starts barking.

Lexi snaps of her hallucination, looks around, she pants. Alex puts a hand on her shoulder then hugs her. "Hey, if you're feeling anxious about something again, just talk to me, I'm here, I'm right here."

Lexi marches to her bedroom with a knife from the kitchen sitting in front of her broken vanity mirror. A voice says, "They wouldn't accept you for who you truly are, a cold hearted killer you're living a double life. They wouldn't love you,"

Lexi's head throbs and her ears start ringing again. "Yeah? How do you know? They're my parents. They love me, right?" Lexi begins carving her skin with a knife, she breathes rapidly and grumbles. "Pops and Papa would understand."

Her head throbs more as she continues to carve her skin with the knife, she grunts and pants.

"No, they wouldn't."

"Shut up!"