Chapter ten: Who is she?

Lexi returns Jax's hug and smiles sadly. "I'll be alright, don't ever worry about me, Kid." Her red eyes become more luminous as tears bubble her eyes, but she wipes them.

"I will worry, mom. All that Sunsyn isn't good and your health—" Jax pauses.

Lexi puts her hands on Jax's shoulder and tries to hide her frown."I know, I know, and I don't want to put this burden on you because I know you're dealing with losing your dad and the war. I'm in a life and death situation with Sunsyn, if I don't have it daily I could die, but I will die either way. Sunsyn does put a toll on the body, but please don't worry about me, okay?"

Jax nods.

"I'll make you lunch in a bit."

"Okay."

Lexi goes in her office, shuts the door, sits down in her chair, then gets the machine and cord out of the drawer of her desk. She hooks up the cord to the patch on her stomach, turns on the machine and adjusts the dose of Sunsyn she needs, and it injects the Sunsyn in her. Lexi's red eyes start glowing,  she begins searching for more. She finds a needle of spare Sunsyn and flicks it, injects it. She lets it all kick in, her veins pop out, everything's moving in a faster pace. She starts laughing uncontrollably, but covers her mouth so Jax couldn't hear. The sigils on her arm start bleeding and lightning starts to crackle. She starts breathing heavily through the pain, but all that goes away.

Lexi begins to fidget with her hands and looks up to a Neighbor member calling her name. She asks, "What is it now?"

"Boss, we kinda have a problem—well, you do," he says.

"Hm?" Lexi vocalizes, still out of it, unbothered to hide her Sunsyn supplies.

"The word is someone hired someone to gun you down."

Lexi smiles evilly. "Oh? Who?"

The man shrugs. "She doesn't appear to be from here nor the human universe."

"Another universe? I mean, it's possible," Lexi comments. "The world gets weirder every day."

"I'll go out if I can see her, but you do know a hitman wouldn't just hide in plain sight, right?"

The man just gives her silence as a sign of respect.  "I'll go on my own.  I'm sure I can handle it."

The man nods. Lexi's smile gets wider. "Also,  don't dare follow me? Hear me?"  The man nervously nods.

Jax comes in the office and sits on the desk. "Are you seriously going to chase and try to kill somebody who may be more powerful and dangerous than you? Don't take that as an insult, I know you're very powerful and dangerous, after all, you're the crime lord of Devil Town," they say.

Lexi faces her daughter.  "That is a possibility." She puts her Sunsyn supplies away. "But what did I tell you?"

"I don't need worry about you..right," Jax repeats.

Lexi caresses their cheek. "Alright, I'm going to make lunch, then after, I'll be going out."

Lexi goes in the kitchen then gets the loaf of bread and opens the fridge for the deli meat, cheese, and mustard. She gets a knife to spread the mustard. She prepares two sandwiches for them both and puts chips on their plates. She puts all the things away and carries the sandwiches to the table. "Jax, lunch is ready."

As they're eating, Lexi's hands start to shake and with every bite she takes, it would fall. "Shit!" Lexi keeps yelling. The shaking stops, but Lexi becomes fidgety, she continues to eat. Jax's expression switches from the face of feeling at home and feeling like they could relax since the war to a face of constant fear, worry, and anxiety, but they remind themselves that Lexi's gonna be okay and everything's gonna be okay. They help Lexi clean up. Lexi puts her gun in a holster then kisses Jax's forehead. "I'll be back later, okay? Behave."