Chapter 1. Newest task in hand

"T- minus 66 seconds" you spoke through the coms, your eyes dropping directly to the timer. Fingers tapping the operating panel rhythmically as your nerves were out of whack.

"Affirmative, all clear" the familiar voice responded back. Reggie, your neighboring Artillery and Missiles Officer, also your best friend who you worked with was out on the testing field waiting for the launch of a new missile you were both in the process of creating. Your eyes glanced up momentarily while your lunges let out a deep sigh.

"Launching in 5, stand by." You spoke leaning your head close to the coms speaker. You mentally counted down, 5..4..3..2..1. Your eyes quickly shot up to the camera that landed eye level to you. Your eyes watching the target circle intently, tapping your foot against the cold ground beneath you. "Come on...come on..." you mumbled as your patience was wearing thin.

"3..2..1.." the missile quickly collided into the target circle exploding heavily on impact with the radius of 3 football fields. "YES." You jumped up excited pumping your fist at the sight through the screen.

"Bullseye baby!" Reggie spoke ecstatic through the coms. You scoffed with a wide smile while you leaned into the coms.

"Fucking perfecto." You spoke still beyond hyped it worked. "That's enough for today. Let's end it on that note." You rounded the conversation through coms just as the door behind you riddled a loud knock. You whirled around just as the door clicked open.

"General Shepard wants you in his office, it's urgent." The soldier spoke quickly before parting from the doorway disappearing out of sight. You furrowed your brow confused on why Shepard would want you in his office? He was never one to tell you things himself, always had the puppets relay messages. You made sure everything was secure and turned off before exiting the operating room. Your boots clicked through the thin hall drowning your ears from the silence that filled around you. Were you in trouble? Everything went accordingly today as promised?

You knocked on the large door that separated you from Shepard. You caught the distinct chatter behind the door simmer down to silence. "Enter!" Shepard's voice corroded the silence quickly. You grabbed the door handle unlatching the door swiftly opening it to see Captain John Price standing next to Shepard's Desk. Why was he here?

"Sir" you spoke nodding your head towards General Shepard. "Good morning Captain, always a pleasure to see you here." You smiled lightly before turning your attention back to the General.

"Please sit." Shepard spoke motioning his hand towards the open seat on the opposing side of where he stood. You walked up around to the front of the chair quickly taking a seat. A few moments of silence ran laps around the room until Shepard spoke. "Your shipment of medium ranged ATS missiles headed to Fort Hood never made it." Your heart dropped into your ass as the words were relayed to you. That was a shipment of missiles you sent out 3 weeks prior.

" I don't understand sir." You quickly spoke feeling your heart beat rapidly in your chest. "I-" you started to speak but Captain Price chimed in.

"Trackers have been removed from the missiles but were located just outside of Gyumri, Armenia. Some type of arms deal with Russia "

"But how did they manage to remove the trackers? They're placed in a spot where if removed, they'd detonate-"

"I'm not sure how they have gone about it but all I know is with our missiles in their custody, we are in a grave amount of danger, soldier." Shepard barked sternly.

"Price here has asked me if I could spare one of my best officers with the knowledge of these missiles, that's where you come in. You're to accompany Task Force 141 on locating these missiles. With the possibility of you disassembling the launch and target system. If necessary." Shepard spoke leaning forward on his desk. "Am I loud and clear? I need my missiles recovered one way or another."

"Yes sir." You nearly hesitated still in the process of it all. How did the missiles fall off the grid mid transport? You had that shipment heavily guarded and protected.

"Perfect, gather your belongings, Price is taking you today. Rest of your duties will be released to Officer Parker. Good luck soldier." Shepard concluded nodding his head. You took off quickly and headed to the door.

"I'll be here with Shepard until you're ready. Don't dilly dally." Price called just before you close the door behind you. You knew you were in for a hell of a ride. You grabbed a bag full of your clothes and whatnot bidding your room one more look before you left for god knows how long. You closed your door turning to continue down the hall when a Reggie came into view.

"Running away?" He chuckled seeing your stuff bag slumped over your shoulder.

"You'd be lost without me, I could never." You chuckled approaching Reggie. "But it does look like you'll be in charge of things here for a little while, think you can handle that?" You joked socking his shoulder softly. His eyes filled with fake fear and turned frantic causing you to laugh.

"What? I'd I blow up the place? A-are you sure?" He shook his head pushing his side into you. "Don't stress it, I got it covered." He ended it with a nod. "But hey no dying on me alright?" He cocked his head staring you directly in the eyes as a way to intimidate you to agree.

"No promises, Reg. " you rolled your eyes. "But hey. It goes both ways, asshat. You can't die on me either alright? No extreme measures with my babies in there." You pointed down the hall indicating you were talking about the shop where you held the works of your newest missile.

"Alright alright" he laughed pulling you in for a quick bear hug. "Get goin before you gotta drop and give them 100." He concluded as he moved aside continuing down the hall towards the neighboring building barracks.

"Bye Reg."

Reggie and you went through bootcamp together, graduated together, ranked up together. Your platonic best friend all in one. He was as good with the missiles as you were, he just tended to second guess himself more and Shepard saw him second under you. You sure were going to miss your buddy though.

You eventually made it back to Shepard's office where you appeared in the doorway and both gentlemen turned their attention towards you pausing their conversation for another time.

"Ready to be hauled away." You chuckled as Price silently chuckled at your sentence.

"Got everything you need?" Price asked walking up to you in the doorway.

"Something like that. Let's go before I change my mind and try and run away." You laughed jokingly as the two of you exited the office.

"Aye you'll be in good hands with the boys." Price spoke as he approached the car first opening the door for you.