Chapter 5. Sighting

A week had passed by and everyday at 6 am sometimes 5, you were out on the field practicing your hand to hand with Ghost. Very little words were ever exchanged besides the common push down comments, the "don't waste my time." He annoyed the living hell out of you at times when his tone would become very sarcastic but your mind always played back to Soap's words. He was going through something and That it'd pass in time.

Friday mornings H2H combat training was cut short by Soap coming to fetch us to meet in Price's office. Ghost held his hand to help you up from the ground after he had tossed you down at least 86 times that day. You reluctantly accepted it standing to your feet, dusting yourself off. You trailed behind ghost til you reached Price's office where Soap and Gaz were already in.

"Alright soldiers, we've got a dilemma. We've just received a report this morning from a few soldiers Laswell has sent out over near the Russian seas to scout out. One of them supposedly had reported seeing a dark blue shipping container on one of Russian Military aircraft ships headed for the inland's of northern Russia. So I need to send you 4 out there within the next 24 hours so l/n can either confirm or deny."

"And if it's not the container holding the missiles, then what?" You asked glancing around the room to see everyone's faces. If they're were shitting bricks like you were.

"Then we go back to square one." Price spoke calmly.

"Say we go down there, check it out, look inside, it's not ours. If it's not ours and we get caught in the act. They're gonna know where onto them. Then we will actually have to start from scratch." You spoke genuinely worried it'd be all for nothing.

"Say we don't try to confirm it, dismiss it and it does in fact be ours, We'll be even more in a shit hole than we would be if it wasn't." Ghost spoke up before giving anyone else the chance to speak.

'That is the most you have gotten out of him since you've been here.' You thought to yourself.

"Soap and Gaz will scout from a distance while ghost, you and L/N ease your way into the base to relay the information. Ghost I need you to do your absolute best to make sure this doesn't go AWOL with L/N. I understand she's no where near ready yet, but hence why I left her under your care." Price spoke tapping his pen against his desk slight.

"Yes sir." His accent thick and his words genuine.

"If shit goes south, you are all to retreat immediately. Do whatever you need to, to get the hell out of there." Price spoke once more. "I'm counting on you four."

"Yes sir!" You all spoke in unison unintentionally.

"Good, now you've all got about 2 hours until the helicopter arrives to send you out. Get movin, make me proud" Price concluded flicking his hand to shoo you all out of his office. Soap and Gaz exited first, then you and Ghost trailed behind you

"Please for the love of god, don't fuck this up. We'll do our job, in out, no evidence." He spoke low so only you could hear as you both continued to walk.

"It's dually noted, lieutenant." You spoke closing off the conversation as you sped up slightly making your way to you room. Kind of ticked you off ghost was so terrified of you fucking things up. Guess you just had to show the cocky fucker who he was second guessing.

——————

The helicopter ride was silent. Well more of the fact if any of you talked, none of you could hear each other so it wouldn't have matter anyway. The blades of the helicopter drowned out the awkward silence so that was nice. Soap and Gaz played sudoku on Gaz's phone, Ghost lost himself on the world outside the helicopter and you just sat there contemplating every possible outcome of this mission you were all about to endure.

Your eyes would flicker every so often to glance at Ghost who made no effort to scan his comrades throughout the flight. He seemed more annoyed at the fact those two boneheads were playing sudoku. You were really nosey, wanted to know what was eating him up to be such an ass. But of course you kept it to yourself. You'd be the ass if you asked him about his life. Barely knew guy, let alone barely talked to the guy. No fault of your own.

This would be the first time you've ever been place in a situation where you personally were on enemy territory. It scared you shitless, the fact that there was even a fraction of a chance you could fuck this all up. He hand reached across the helicopter and your eyes darted to the hand. Gaz gave you a pat after noticing your worried look and tensed body.

"It'll be okay." He mouthed not even attempted to vocalize it. But he made it seem like he yelled it at you. You smiled and nodded at his silent words before you turned your attention to the now stationary helicopter lowering itself in an open field. The helicopter dropped and a slight thud and a light smack on the upper arm from ghost caught your attention.

"Are you ready?" He asked you as the blades started to slow dimming the noise. You wanted to say no, and break down in that moment because you were petrified but you knew that wasn't an option.

"Yes sir." You nodded unbuckling yourself form inside stepping out onto the drive plain of grass.

"Their base where it was sighted near is 5-6 miles south. Got some walking to do so let's go." Soap spoke as he hopped out from the copter to stand in the middle of you and ghost.

"Well we don't have all day gentlemen." You spoke as you were the first one to pick up your feet and start walking forward.

"L/n." A voice called from behind you. You whirled around with your hands on your backpack straps.

"What?" You asked raising your brow.

"You're going the wrong way." Ghost huffed.

"Ohh.....right." You awkwardly chuckled as you walked to join them again. "Lead the way...."