Chapter 10. Regrets

((Y'all might hate me for This chapter but....OH WELL))

Both Gaz and ghost lowered themselves in the grass peering down below through their scopes. You paused a second before following through as well, pulling your scope out aiming below. There were number ours buildings that ranges from many sizes. Except 2 huge warehouse like that were stationed directly next to each other. You had counted at least 30-40 men scattered everywhere.

"I'm not seeing any crates out in the open, they must be in those two warehouses." Daz spoke removing his vision for  the scope to turn his head to face you and ghost.

"If they still have them that is" you remarked.

"They will." Ghost instantly spoke without breaking to stare at either of you. Without warning, he started to aim slightly to the left before pulling the trigger sending a bullet down into the mix of buildings, and cars everywhere.  "Far left solo is down, get your ass on your scopes and let's get this going." He ordered. You quickly lined up the scope focusing your vision on. And one by one, Gaz, you and ghost picked off every cartel member that was out in the open. Which your next step was to move in.  As you and Gaz approached through the cars, you paid no mind to continue to be wary of your surroundings. You just assumed the fact since you picked off every member visible.

You started to approach the closest warehouse when suddenly out of the corner of your eye, you caught something near you. You didn't dare to turn your head and look but you could tell it was someone. That wasn't Ghost or Gaz. You froze almost immediately as your brain buffered when your vision finally focused to see a cartel member with a gun pointed at you while he approached spewing something in Spanish. He aimed right slightly shooting off a warning bullet while he continued to approach and yell. Your body took a screenshot feeling the fast sudden breeze of the bullet graze your sleeve.

"L/n you need to move now. Attack." Ghosts voice spewed from the coms but none of his words came out clear to you.

"L/n!" Ghost spat louder. Gaz only a few meters away ready to pounce when his hand reached to grab his hand gun only to find out it had fallen on on the way down. He frantically looked around to see if he was near him.

"Ghost, my gun. I don't have it. Do you have sighting of him?" Gaz spoke worriedly

"No I can't get a clear sight of him only L/n. F/N MOVE NOW." Ghost ordered sternly, his voice almost scary bit again you were frozen in time it felt like. You couldn't move, hell you had a gun aimed directly at you. You had ghost screaming through the coms and Gaz panicking not far behind.

Within seconds, Gaz came flying behind you pulling you back, quickly stepping in front of you and within that time the member took the opportunity to pull the trigger quickly. You flew back onto the ground knocking you out of your trance like state. Your eyes focused on the horrid sight in front of you. Gaz's body  falling fast into the ground. .

"GAZ no!" You screamed as his head his the ground, leaning back at an angle where his eyes met yours. Where you watched the light dim in his pupils. Gaz was dead. All because he chose to save you. The member approaching you once again, coming into the open causing A suddenly shot to fly inches from you straight into the man's skull where he too dropped to the ground.

"L/n you need to get out of there now." Ghost's voice echoed the coms almost cold. Like he get disgusting saying those words. You stayed mixed onto the ground before you hooked your hands under Gaz's armpits hoisting him backwards as you used all your strength to pull his body farther and farther away. Your vision had blurred and your mind was in overdrive.

You had fucked up, royally fucked up and it costed Gaz his life. Ghost had kept you covered as best he could until you reached the safe distant. He approached you in silence picking up Gaz's body from your grip hoisting him over his back turned quickly to make his way the same way you all had came. you sat in grass looking at the blades of grass stained with the blood of someone you knew. Someone who chose to protect you over themselves and they on,y had to make that choice because you fucked up.

———

'What the fuck happened out there?" Price basically shouted the minute you had parted off the helicopter to the base. "Answer my question god damn it." He choked slightly but tried his best to cover it.

"You want to know what happened?" Ghost suddenly spoke up. "We'll L/N over here got cocky, thought she could rule the world and walk freely in the open. Cartel member caught her and instead of shooting or fighting back. She froze. Fucking froze. And Gaz saved her ass. Costed him his life." His words felt like stones being thrown at you. "It should've been you." He suddenly spat and the minute your traumatized eyes met his, his instantly eyes showed as if he instantly regretted those choice of words.

"Yeah you're right...." You spoke quietly pushing passed the 3 men heading towards the building.  You heard Price continued to yell at ghost who's stare was connected to the back of you.

That night you sat on the floor of your shower as the moment of seeing Gaz lose his life in front of your eyes replayed numerous times. Your knees to your chest, arms wrapped around securing your legs. Your eyes blankly stared off towards the shower wall.

'Should've been you.' He was right, it should've been. It was because of you all of this happened anyways. You fucking froze up. And it was eating you alive. After sitting in the shower for as long as you did, you dressed yourself and sat in the edge of the bed. A knock erupted from you door and you didn't move. Seconds later, another knock erupted. But this time more aggressive.

'It's open." You barely called out really not up for another lecture on something you knew you did wrong. The door swung open and closed quickly as heavy footsteps rounded to your side.

"What were you thinking?" The voice spoke eagerly. "What didn't you move?" It was ghost. Silence filled the room as your eyes lingered off at a wall.

"Answer me damnit." He ordered and when he got nothing, his anger boiled. "What was going through your fucking head at that moment?"

"Nothing." You mumbled.

"There you go." He huffed while he stared down at you. "I knew it wasn't a good idea to send you out there. I fucking knew it from the start."

'Then why let me?" You projected angerily. "I know I fucked up. Okay? That's all I've heard from you and Price since we arrived. I know it's my fault Daz is Dead. I know it's my fault because I froze up. OKAY? I GET THE FUCKING POINT GHOST." You were basically screaming at this point. You were spiraling. "YOU THINK I WANTED TO WATCH THE LIFE SLIP OUT OF HIM RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME?" You continued feeling your eyes drop a continuous trail of tears down your cheeks. "You're right, it should've been me. You happy now? That I admitted it?"

"No. I shouldn't have said that." Ghost spoke keeping his tone lowed. "I didn't mean that."

"Sure fucking felt like you did." You hissed. "I'm sorry okay? I'm so so so sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" you Continued to say as you felt your body absolutely break. You slide off the side of the bed onto the ground cradling yourself as the waterworks dropped aggressively. "I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. Gaz I'm so sorry." You stuttered between your sobs. Your hands on the sides of your head gripping your roots tightly. ghost knelt down to greet you on the ground, suddenly wrapping his arms around you pulling you into his lap. Your head rested on his upper abdomen and his legs cradled you in. His arms held up close, his fingers almost gripping you tightly like it had been something he wanted to do. Just not under circumstances like this. He exchanged no words as he just let you sob excessively in his arms.

He understood it to an extent. Being the reason someone lost their life. It's what he had to endure with his family and with the words he had said to you, he felt awful. He knew this job was supposed to have your full commitment and sacrifices if needed. He just didn't think that'd have to happen. God he was torn Gaz was gone but he was more torn that there was even a huge chance he could've lost you today and he wasn't in close proximity to save you.