Chapter 11. For our fallen Soldier

Price had you temporarily terminated from any further missions until you could clear yourself up. You even went to Shepard to try and get yourself removed from 141 but he quickly denied it. At least until the missiles were pinpointed and destroyed.

That night you fell asleep in ghost's arms and woke up in your bed. Something you thought would never happen.

A week had passed and you barely left your room. You were so mentally scarred and spent every minute of your day absolutely tearing yourself apart. Ghost would stop by to bring you food and water. Unless he was put on a mission.
———

A knock at the door knocked you out of your head causing you to sit up in your bed facing the door. It slowly opened and ghost entered.

"Hey." He spoke inviting. "Talked with Price today, said if you're up to it, we're ready for you to join back with us. If not, he's offering you some more time." He finished walking to you in the bed handing you a water bottle. He noticed your hesitation and brought his left arm to grab your chin pulling your head to face him.

"We need to do this Gaz." He spoke genuine his tired eyes fluctuating between both your eyes, holding the strong eye contact. "I need you to want to finish this." He finished slightly brushing gloved his thumb against your chin.

"Okay." You spoke blinking a set of tears letting them run down your heated cheeks. He quickly removed his hand from your chin, clearing his throat standing straight up.

"We've got shit to do, so get dressed and meet me in the Price's office." He spoke placing his hand on your shoulder briefly before turning to exit your room, closing the door behind him.

He was right. Gaz wouldn't want you sitting here while things could be getting done. You were the ONLY one who could officially end this mission and that's what you needed to do.  You helped yourself out of her, walking to your small dresser to pull out your uniform.

Once dressed, you tied up your hair into a bun before making your way into Price's office. The minute you walked in, it was like he'd seen a ghost.

"Good to see you again L/n." Price smiled briefly. "Take a seat so we can get started." He added on his eyes glanced at ghost's and Soap's before heading back to you. "You 100% you're okay to keep going?"

"I'm as ready as I can be, sir." You spoke, your voice almost shakey. "I need to do this. For Gaz. For his Death to mean something."

"Okay" Price concluded that conversation, quickly opening another. "I have a theory there's a leak." He started and soap furrowed his brows.

"Sir?" Ghost asked waiting for for information.

"How else does a shipment of missiles vanish undetected mid route?" He continued. "You're telling me nobody had time to report back to base on the status? Not once? They still had access to coms, access to communication if necessary. It's just something I've been stuck on recently. It just doesn't make sense to me. I think the missiles were planted or sold directly to the Russian military. It's a set up. I won't know who or why but we need to figure this one out." He finished leaving you all to think on the matter.

"I'll get a lead to start from and get back to you." He spoke as he exited the office before anyone else did.

"He thinks someone within our military planned the hijacking of the missiles?" You asked turning your question to Ghost.

"That's a sizable accusation he's chiming in. But Price tends to be pretty solid on these types of things." Ghost spoke adjusting his mask. Soap walked up to where you sat and placed his hand on your shoulder looking down at you.

"We don't hold it against you, alright? Just know that." Soap spoke lowly before he left the office.

"Fuck." You exhaled feeling the rush of it all hitting you, leaning forward to put your face in your hands. Ghost walked up to you kneeling down in front of you.

"Hey." He spoke softly, causing you to bring your eyes up slightly look at him. "You're a strong pain in the ass of a woman, I know you'll get through this, F/n." It was always a weird occurrence when he said your first name. He always said it when he met something genuine.

———

That evening, you and Ghost did a little recap with your hth combat to help prevent you from freezing up like you did last time. But this time there was one bullet in the chamber but the safety was on. To encourage you to think fast and move fast.

This only went on for an hour or two before ghost could tell you were getting a bit overwhelmed. You interjected and pleaded you were find to continue but he shut you down immediately saying that you both could pick this up tomorrow.

After you had showered and changed, you found yourself in the Rec room writing in your journal for the first time in over a few weeks. A lot had happened to you but you weren't sure if jotting it all down was something you wanted to do. You sat there staring at your blank page for what felt like years until Ghost entered the room.

"You sure writin in your journal is a good idea?" He spoke when he saw the pen in your right hand.

"Haven't written anything." You exhaled softly bringing your gaze to look up at him as he approached leaning over the couch to look at the empty page. He grabbed your journal and tossed it over you into the coffee table.

He leaned his arms on the top of the backside of the couch watching your gaze.

"Do I intimidate you?" He asked not breaking his gaze.

"Why do you ask?" Your voice level slightly risen lifting your eyes to meet his.

"Just curious, soldier." He hummed keeping his eye contact

"You ask all the people you work with that or just the ones you fancy?" You half smirked at his sudden eyebrow raise.

"Who says I fancy you?" He scoffed

"Me, I say so."

"And why is that?" He asked cocking his head to the right.

"Because you don't comfort any of the other soldiers when someone dies in their place for them. You don't deem me as that type of lieutenant." You spoke putting no effort to project your voice to average level. "That and the fact you grabbed my face earlier today. "

"What are you implying soldier?" He asked trying to sound gruff.

"That you fancy me."

"And you don't fancy me?" He asked.

"I never said that." You argued.